Kota Baharu Travel Answers

change location

moving on

by olivegroves Online Now Mar 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I want to get to bangkok from Kota bahru and dont fancy a long bus ride..so how about flights..or train...how long would the train take and is it safe???????

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • din2x's Profile Photo

Re: moving on

by din2x Online Now Mar 16, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Airasia fly from Kota Bharu airport to Kuala Lumpur LCC Terminal. it takes about 40 minutes. From LCC Terminal in KL, you can take a flight to Bangkok.

Alternatively, you can also fly with Malaysia Airline from Kota Bahru to KLIA (Main Terminal) for transit and continue with flight to Bangkok using Malaysia Airline or Thai

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: moving on

by olivegroves Online Now Mar 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I believe the KL to BKK flight is70 and BKK to KB around22 so I guess back tracking could cost near100

• Re: moving on

by rizalshah Online Now Mar 30, 2010 at 8:56 PM

air asia also flies from bangkok to narathiwat, which is only 30km from the border. However, security is not guaranteed.

• K2NG's Profile Photo

Re: moving on

by K2NG Online Now Apr 16, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Yes, rizalshah gave one suggestion which can cut down your traveling time. Airasia has flights between BKK and Narathiwat. From Kota Bahru you can take a taxi to the Malaysia immigration nearby at Rantau Panjang and cross over to the Thai side into the town of Sungei Kolok. Then find a transport that can bring you to Narathiwat Airport. One thing to note is the problem of Muslim Insurgency conflicts that have been plaguing the Southern part of Thailand the last couple of years. So far nothing much happened recently. That's why after some research and monitoring, I finally decided to take a coach from BKK on 9th Apr evening 5pm to Sungei Kolok in the South. Well the presence of Military road blocks are quite common in this part of the country but are just security measures to keep things in order. They let civilian coaches pass freely without much hassle. My aim is to make my way past this area as soon as possible to minimise any exposure to unnecessary risks.

Another alternative is to take a taxi from Kota Bahru to Wakaf Bahru train station, which will cost you around 15RM. From there, take a 1816 Hrs train that will bring you to KL at around 0720 Hrs in the morning. Better book in advance if you want a sleeper seat. From KL you can take a flight to BKK easily.

Or another alternative, which was what I chose, was to take a 0620am train from Wakaf Bahru train station and enjoy the most scenic Jungle Train ride to Kuala Lipis train station. By the time you reach Kuala Lipis, it will be around 1335Hrs. You can make your way to Bus station at Kuala Lipis and take a 4 hrs coach to KL and from there a flight to BKK. Or you can hang around Kuala Lipis town until 2335Hrs at night and take a connecting train from Kuala Lipis train station to KL. It will be around 0720Hrs by the time you reach KL Sentral Train Station.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines