Kota Baharu Travel Answers

change location
stamoz's Profile Photo

goin to Kelantan

by stamoz Online Now Dec 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM

hello everyone,

do anyone know about on how to get to Kota Baharu from ko Samui, Thailand ? since it's a bit closer than Georgetown I'm considerin to go there by bus to renew my visa; so far I haven't seen advertisements on the travel agencies here on trips avaiable to Kelantan therefore I would appreciate any suggestions in this one, thanks.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Chuckaziz's Profile Photo

Re: goin to Kelantan

by Chuckaziz Online Now Dec 26, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Hi Carlos, getting to Kota Bahru you must do a train + bus ride from Surat Thani or Hatyai to the Thai border town of Sungai Kolok. From Sungai Kolok there is a very short distance border/bridge crossing to a nearby Malaysian town of Rantau Panjang. Onwards there is a bus service to Kota Bahru. You have to be extra careful taking the eastern route to Malaysia because of the ongoing trouble in Thailand's far south.

Alternatively, although Georgetown is further, there are better connections from Hatyai to Georgetown. A train ride from Hatyai will take you to Butterworth where you can hop on a ferry to Georgetown on the Penang Island. There is a direct bus service too between the two places. I have travelled by road from Hatyai to Penang. A taxi ride from Hatyai to Bukit Kayu Hitam in Malaysia took about an hour and from Bukit Kayu Hitam to Butterworth is about another hour. So you will be travelling about 3 hrs by the time you complete the ferry crossing to Penang Island.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines