Kota Baharu Travel Answers

change location

Kota Bharu- Decent restaurant

by frederikranke Online Now Feb 8, 2006 at 12:08 AM

Do anyone know a decent restaurant i Kota Bharu? Would prefer a restaurant serving beer and/or wine.

Staying at the Renaissance in July, is the restaurant there ok?

Cheers

Frederik

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Kaynisa's Profile Photo

RE: Kota Bharu- Decent restaurant

by Kaynisa Online Now Feb 8, 2006 at 4:13 AM

Heya Frederick....
    Its not easy to find a restaurant in Kelantan that serves wine or beer unless u go to some chinese joint or if im not mistaken there;s only one club there... but u can try... but the food is overall nice.. u hafta go to the square the had... especially at night... where u find tons of nice hawkers selling varieties type of food there.. amazing place to be. food is everywhere so u need not to worry.. the KFC is around the corner .. next to a shopping complex called "Pantai" and also oh yeah since u are there go to PCB (the beach) not that nice now tho but still go and taste the food there...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Kota Bharu- Decent restaurant

by Hasanah Online Now Feb 20, 2006 at 1:47 PM

Well, the decent restaurant concept is not too developed in Kota Bharu. Fine dining is rare but ironically KB is famous for its food. Restaurant in KB is a simple concept and Kelantanese go for the food and not the ambiance, unlike in the West.Here, I pay 100 pounds at Grosvenors House or Hilton or Nobu, and I just still miss the cheap, way cheap......kelantanese food.However,there are several 'restaurants' that I go when I am back in KB. They serve among the best local food in town. Will get the names and addresses for you from my brother who lives there.I must also warn you that the best food for Kelantanese may not be rated the same for a foreigner.But its worth the try. Also the night square is onegood alternative. Some of the hawker stalls also have among the best food too,having been a family business for years and have the best kept secret recipes for their 'nasi kerabu' and 'nasi dagang'. You must try the 'ayam percik'-roasted chicken. This is Kelantan's most famous food.Will give you the best 'restaurant' to go for this too.You may want to try some Thai-kelantanese food -the tom-yam and related dishes.Thai influence on the food is due toher being the nearest neigbour. My cousins and I would go as far as crossing the border to eat Thai food.The wine-part is not available as the state prohibit the sale of any alcoholic drinks. But try the 'mata-kuching' drinks or 'tebu' drinks. You won't regret it.I dont know about the one in Renaissance,I know its a good hotel.Decent restaurant? I am sure as it is, if you are talking about the ambiance.You can bring in your own wine. The hotel staff will give you the glasses. The best that I can think..cheers.

• RE: Kota Bharu- Decent restaurant

by Hasanah Online Now Feb 20, 2006 at 1:59 PM

Hi Frederik, I forgot to add that you can get a restaurant listing in the 'cuti malaysia-kelantan' web page. The ayam percik restaurant that I mentioned is there- Yati Restaurant.

• RE: RE: Kota Bharu- Decent restaurant

by frederikranke Online Now Feb 28, 2006 at 2:06 AM

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Frederik

• Kaynisa's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Kota Bharu- Decent restaurant