Koper Travel Answers

change location

Koper - Private Shore Excursion

by jsc101 Online Now May 29, 2011 at 12:00 AM

We're a group of 20 and after docking at Koper at 8AM, we plan to hire a bus and do the following: Škocjan Caves, Vinakras wine tasting and performance at Lipica Stud farms at 3PM.

Is this do-able from the perspective of time and direction etc. so as to be back at Koper by 5PM.

Also, does anyone know of any law which says that a tourist group has to have a guide with them and cannot just hire a bus
Thanks,
Jay

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Koper - Private Shore Excursion

by cachaseiro Online Now May 29, 2011 at 1:52 AM

This should be doable i think.

And you do not need to have a guide with the bus in Slovenia.

At the Lipica stud farm you will have to follow a guide on the tour around the farm, but that guide is included in the entry and they are very good there.

If you need a good bus company in the region then i would recommend "Street tours" from Portoroz.
    They have good busses and good drivers.
    I have used them several times and they are fine.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now May 29, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Hi
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but just to clarify, I am right in thinking that you're planning to attend the 15:00 show at Lipica and yet be back in Koper by 17:00 (ie. only two hours after the START of the show)?
    If so, then I cannot see how you will make this timing work, as the very earliest you will leave the stud farm is by 16:15 (assuming a show of only 1 hour), which only leaves 45 minutes to get back to the port?
    Maybe it's possible if the show is shorter (in which case, would it be worth the money?), but I would certainly want to allow a good deal longer than an hour for the return journey'. It's not a huge distance, but it's not exactly next door either, and I would personally want to allow more of a buffer just in case of hold ups en route.
    Regards
    Cathy

• Re: Koper - Private Shore Excursion

by jsc101 Online Now May 29, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Great point Cathy. The Ship leaves at 7PM and we were leaving a 2 hour margin though that might be overkill. Do you have any info on how long the show is and how long does it take to get back to Koper from the stud farms.

Also, since you seem familiar with the area - any suggestions about which vinery we should visit for the wine tasting? Something which is not out of the way and in the general direction between the Škocjan caves and Lipica.

Thanks in advance

by CatherineReichardt Online Now May 29, 2011 at 6:07 AM

Hi
    Glad to be of help, but I'm afraid that you're asking the wrong person, as I'm allergic to wine ... :)
    Will see what I can find out from the Lipica website ...
    If you are looking for an alternative, I cannot recommend the amazing church at Hrastovlicje highly enough ... incuding the fact that it is surrounded by vineyards (just can't vouch for the quality of their produce)!!! Have a look at my travel page for more details ... we visited it en route for the coast on a baking hot day, so it might not be too far off your path and is the most stunning fortified Romanesque church with the best murals that I have seen south of the Alps (although I confess that I know the north better) ...
    Regards
    Cathy

by CatherineReichardt Online Now May 29, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Hi
    OK, see you've wisely built in a 2 hour time buffer ... so not quite such an urgent time line!!!
    I have no idea about the interests of your group (and it's probably hard to generalise about 20 people). However, the information that I can find online suggests that the show at Lipica may be fairly brief.
    What I would say is that I have seen the Lippizaners here in Johannesburg (we have the world's 3rd largest 'population' outside Lipica and Vienna who were evacuated here as a 'fallback bloodstock' during WWII) and you either love it or you don't. My daughter and I were mesmerised by the balletic horses, and thank God my husband wasn't there, or he'd have rather volunteered for root canal surgery! The bottom line is that only you know how 'horsey' your group are.
    If in doubt, I'd plump for Hrastovlje (excuse my Slovenian spelling, which is random at the best of times: perhaps the 'safer' (but by no means the compromise) option: to help you make up your mind, see "Gobsmackingly gorgeous!" - Hrastovlje by CatherineReichardt
    Regards
    Cathy

by jsc101 Online Now May 29, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Thanks once again Cathy. Good point about the varied interests of a large group.

Will look into your suggestion.

Thanks,

Jay

by cachaseiro Online Now May 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Seeing the stables and seeing the show takes just under two hours and driving from Lipica to Koper takes around 40 minutes, so you should be able to make it.

by cachaseiro Online Now May 29, 2011 at 8:35 AM

And the biggest winery in Slovenia is in Koper and called "vina koper".
    Their tastings are quite good.
    I have done them many times myself when i have been there with groups and they are a 10 minutes drive from the harbour.

by jsc101 Online Now May 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Cachaseiro, thanks so much for very specific info about the show and the time back to Koper. Even the info about the winery is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Koper