Konya Travel Answers

change location
mavl's Profile Photo

whirling dervish performance schedule

by mavl Online Now May 13, 2007 at 3:17 AM

hello,

the lonely planet guide says whirling dervish performances at the cultural center are only on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays, 9pm. is this schedule correct or are there performances during other days of the week? i'll be there third week of june.

will you be able to buy a ticket when you go there for the show or do you have to buy it in advance? how much in advance, if ever?

thanks a lot!
miko

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • Re: whirling dervish performance schedule

by profannie Online Now May 14, 2007 at 6:25 AM

Don't rely on the LP guide for this kind of infos in Turkey! Was in Konya three weeks ago; stayed there thursday and friday and was told that the only performance was on Saturday evening.
    Maybe in summertime there will be more performances.
    I doubt you have to buy you ticket in advance; the cultural center is a very hudge place, and Konya is not tourists crowded.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mavl's Profile Photo

Re: whirling dervish performance schedule

by mavl Online Now May 14, 2007 at 6:39 AM

thanks for your reply. so you didn't get to watch?

i was told the same thing by a local hostel i'm considering booking - that the performances are only on saturday evenings.

if i don't get to watch it in konya, i'll try when i get to istanbul. i heard, though, that they only have performances there on sundays. true?

would you know where and when i can catch them in istanbul?

thanks a lot!
    miko

by profannie Online Now May 15, 2007 at 6:53 AM

No, unfortunatley, until now I never saw a whirling dervish performance. I'm always missing it from one day!

I don't know about performances in Istanbul, but I suspect it may be a kind of "touristic trap" (expensive and not "the real thing").

If you plan to go in Cappadocia (hope so; it's absolutely a "must-see" of Turkey) you may catch a performance there. At my hotel in Uchisar, there was information about a whirling dervish show (again, it was too late when I saw it!). You can ask the pension or hotel owner in advance, but I think it was on saturday or sunday.

Cappadocia is nearer Konya, the spiritual center of sufism, so it make more sens to have a whirling dervish show there instead of Istanbul.

By the way, wich hostel are you looking for in Konya? I visit almost all of them during my stay (I'm leaving in Ankara for one year and many of my friends will come in Turkey this summer; I was trying to finding them a nice and not expensive place to stay in Konya).

• mavl's Profile Photo

by mavl Online Now May 15, 2007 at 9:50 AM

yes, it would be a shame to miss the dervish show while in konya, i would rather watch it there.

yes, i'll be going to cappadocia, thanks for your uchisar tip! in case i miss them in konya, i'll inquire about the dervish show there.

looking at yeni kosk esra, or otel dervis. any suggestions? for mid-june, will it be hot enough that i'll need an airconditioner? some hotels don't offer airconditioning and i'm not sure if this will be a problem.

thanks!

by profannie Online Now May 15, 2007 at 9:34 PM

I'm returning at the same hotel in Cappadocia between June 7th and June 10th (with my cousin, this time) so I'll check the schedule for the dervish show and let you know.

We stayed at the yeni kosk esra two years ago. We payed 55 liras for a double and it was ok for what we got. The manager speak well english and is friendly. But when we returned this year, we found that it was now 65 liras and that since two years, the place had becoming a little bit run-down. It's still clean, but not exactly what I would call a good value.

So, after looking all around, we choosed to stay at the Hotel Bella (www.hotelbella.com.tr). The rack price is 75 liras for a double but we got a room at 60 liras. This was an excellent value. We intend to go there again.

The manager of the Bella is very friendly, but only speak turkish. If you are interested in booking a room there, I can help you: I have some booking to do for my friends who are coming in Canada so I can put you in the lot ;-) I speak a little turkish, so I'm able to communicate with them.

A cheaper one was the Otel Petek. The place is very basic (you don't have a real shower, just a toilet, a drain and water coming from the wall) but reasonnably clean. The owner is a carpet seller from whom we bought some kilims. He is asking 40 liras for a double, but with a little bargainning, you may got it for 30 liras. I can provide you the email of the owner if you want.

If you're not aware of it, you have to bargain the prices of hotel's room in Turkey; the rack prices are kind of inflated for this reason.

I don't know where the otel dervis is; do you have an adress or website? There are some hotels located in the bazaar, but there looked so cramped that we didn't visit them.

In mid-june, it's not that hot in Anatolia. We travelled all around Turkey in June two years ago and only used air conditioner in Antalya area (on the mediterannean coast). Elsewhere, there was no need (and I don't support very well the heat).

Anyway, if I can provide you any other information that may help you in organizing your trip, you can send me an email. Don't hesitate; it will be a pleasure for me.

• mavl's Profile Photo

by mavl Online Now May 16, 2007 at 3:24 AM

thank you very much, great tips!

i'll be emailing you soon!

• FAIRYCHIMNEY's Profile Photo

by FAIRYCHIMNEY Online Now May 16, 2007 at 3:35 AM

Cappadocia is good choice to see whirling Dervishes ritual : But please note that original ritual can be seen in Avanos /Sarihan Culture Center .Its available everynight starts at 21:00 pm : The rest of the 'shows' are sold in Turkish entertainment Shows -only for 15 minutes- food&drink included.So make sure that the company you choose provides you the one in Sarihan/Avanos not the ones in Uchisar or Urgup entertainment centers.Real ritual takes 45 minutes in total :))

enjoy Cappadocia :)

• mavl's Profile Photo

by mavl Online Now May 16, 2007 at 4:01 AM

great! this means i can catch the real thing if i miss it in konya. thanks for the tip! would you know more or less how much a ticket to this show in avanos/sarihan cultural center costs? just so i'll know if i'm being charged correctly or not.

thanks again!
    miko

• FAIRYCHIMNEY's Profile Photo

by FAIRYCHIMNEY Online Now May 18, 2007 at 2:29 AM

don't pay more than 25 Euro (excluding transfers) and 45 usd (including hotel transfers)

enjoy :)

• mavl's Profile Photo

by mavl Online Now May 18, 2007 at 4:34 AM

great, thanks a lot!

• stalks's Profile Photo

by stalks Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 6:02 AM

Just returned from Turkey and we went to a Whirling Dervish show at a cultural centre not far from Goreme. The hotel we were staying at arranged it. It is on every night, included transport to the venue and home again for 40L each.

• stalks's Profile Photo

by stalks Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 6:06 AM

I can also recommend a great hotel in Konya called Hotel Ulusan behind the post office. Extremely clean, very nice people and only 40L for a double room with brekky. Sorry just realised this will be too late. Hope you enjoyed Konya!!!

• mavl's Profile Photo

by mavl Online Now Jun 27, 2007 at 8:06 AM

thanks anyway!

was able to see the mevlana sema at the cultural in konya, amazing! more amazing was that it was free of charge, unlike what the guide books say.

annie, stayed at the hotel bella like you recommended. it was a nice place, thanks a lot!

by profannie Online Now Jun 29, 2007 at 1:16 AM

So, you catch the show at the culturel center in Konya? It's great! Happy to learn that you like the Bella, and that this tip was useful.

• mavl's Profile Photo

by mavl Online Now Jun 29, 2007 at 3:00 PM

yup, enjoyed konya even if i only stayed a day. hope you had a great time there too!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Konya