Konya Travel Answers

change location
StinLefkada's Profile Photo

Mystery Village!

by StinLefkada Online Now Jul 31, 2005 at 3:49 PM

Does anyone know the village in Anatolia, near Konya, called "Oscarahun"? I'm looking for the correct spelling and as much info as you have. Thank you!
Anna

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: Mystery Village!

by mccalpin Online Now Jul 31, 2005 at 8:17 PM

***Warning*** I have never been to Turkey, nor know much about the place...but in looking at www.viamichelin.com , I see a place called "Agzikarahan" about 80 kilometers east-north-east of Konya. Unfortunately, the michelin.com website does not allow fine granularity in maps in Turkey, so if your place is a small village very close to Konya, it won't help...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • racewalker's Profile Photo

RE: Mystery Village!

by racewalker Online Now Aug 1, 2005 at 12:24 AM

Yep, should be Agzikarahan. That village is actually located within the borders of the City of Aksaray now, not Konya. Mostly known with the "karavanserai" (historical public stronghold where merchants and their animals can rest from their travels) which bears the same name as the village; built in 1200's.

Can

1 member found this helpful

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Mystery Village!

by Sirvictor Online Now Aug 1, 2005 at 2:22 AM

Hello old friend Anna, Still waiting tour Turkish adventures. Our VT friends above have right. It is called Agzikarahan which means in Turkish :
    agiz= mouth
    agzi= its mouth
    kara= black
    han= caravansarai
    agzikarahan= The caravansarai with a black mouth
    Kara like cara of italian means in old Turkish "beautiful" in other words we can translate agzikarahan as "The caravansarai with a beautiful portal"
    You can find many information about it in www.google.com if you write in search "agzikarahan"
    With my best wishes to you and your family
    Your friend Tosun Saral

Be the first to rate this answer!

• StinLefkada's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Mystery Village!

by StinLefkada Online Now Aug 1, 2005 at 7:54 PM

Thank you, Bill, Can, and my old friend, Tosun Saral!
    Yes, this is it! This is where we saw the sheep and thatched-roof village homes, and where the women looked as if they might have stepped out from the 10th century rather than 2005! It was near Derbe, in the fields on Konya.
    By the way, Tosun, thank you so much for your information about Turkey/Greece. Your email about the history of Asia Minor intrigued me greatly, and I am eager to learn more. I trust that I don't stir up the Greek-Turkish fires too brightly by writing this, but you may find the book, "Not Even My Name," by Thea Halo to be interesting. I just finished it and found it haunting.
    Anyway, I look forward to writing soon to tell you about my visit in Asia Minor.
    Blessings,
    Anna

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Konya