Komodo Travel Answers

change location

komodo dragons

by ianeddie Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM

i would like to visit komodo
i am currently living in Bangkok
i am not interested in the diving, just want to see the dragons, could you give any advice as to the visa's. flites required, tour opperaters, any info would be great....

thanks Ianeddie

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Re: komodo dragons

by Daihappydai Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Hard to comment on the visa because you say you are living in Bangkok but you don't give your nationality.
    To see the Komodo Dragons you need to go to Labuanbajo on the western tip of Flores. This can be reached via a flight from Denpasar, Bali but you will also find flights from Java. There are numerous tour operators and small boats that take tourists from Labuanbajo to both Rinca and Komodo Island to see the dragons. You can do this as an overnight, stay on the boat, trip. These are easil arranged on arrival in Labuanbajo.
    Alternatively, you can book a tour from Bali, live aboard boats that take you from Bali, around Lombok and Sumbawa, stopping at places along the way before reaching Komodo Island. These could be anything from three nights one way to six nights return (or more). Perama tours is one example, but others may have more information on these.
    When I was in Labuanbajo, I hired a small boat directly from the dock to take me to Rinca and then on to Komodo, staying overnight and returning the next day.
    It is a great trip, have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Daihappydai's Profile Photo

by Daihappydai Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Hard to comment on the visa because you say you are living in Bangkok but you don't give your nationality - 30 day visas on arrival for $US 25 are available to cotizens of many nationalities.
    To see the Komodo Dragons you need to go to Labuanbajo on the western tip of Flores. This can be reached via a flight from Denpasar, Bali but you will also find flights from Java. There are numerous tour operators and small boats that take tourists from Labuanbajo to both Rinca and Komodo Island to see the dragons. You can do this as an overnight, stay on the boat, trip. These are easily arranged on arrival in Labuanbajo.
    Alternatively, you can book a tour from Bali, live aboard boats that take you from Bali, around Lombok and Sumbawa, stopping at places along the way before reaching Komodo Island. These could be anything from three nights one way to six nights return (or more). Perama tours is one example, but others may have more information on these.
    When I was in Labuanbajo, I hired a small boat directly from the dock to take me to Rinca and then on to Komodo, staying overnight and returning the next day.
    It is a great trip, have fun!

• Re: komodo dragons

by ianeddie Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM

thanks for that, its a great bit of info

i am a uk citizen.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Uk citizen don't need visas for Indonesia. Tours from Bali can be expensive. If you have the time to spare hop through Bali, Lombok and Sumbawa to Labuanbajo on Flores and arrange your trip from there. Check the budget airlines such as Airasia, Tiger air, etc for offers. Good advice already by Daihappydai---not much else to add!

by ianeddie Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM

thanks again, more good advice...!

• theo1006's Profile Photo

by theo1006 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM

As a UK citizen you do need a visa for Indonesia, but you can buy one for USD 25 on arrival at any international airport in Indonesia. The VoA allows you to stay 30 days including day of arrival and day of departure. So you do not need to obtain a visa beforehand at an Indonesian embassy.
    Probably your best flight itinerary is Bangkok to Denpasar, and from there a domestic flight to Labuanbajo. Consult this website for flight schedules and prices: http://www.utiket.com/en/
    If you come for the komodo's only, you may limit yourself to a one day tour to Rinca island. See my tips:
    Labuhanbajo Things to Do Tips by theo1006
    Do you travel alone? Then you could ask your local agent to let you team up with others, to share the cost of the boat.
    Theo

by ianeddie Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

thanks Theo, yes lone traveller, so will look into cost sharing
    and thanks for the links

ianeddie

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines