Kololi Travel Answers

change location

Panic - travel vaccinations

by sam_999 Online Now Feb 11, 2008 at 8:08 AM

just found out that i need yellow fewer jabs?. is there a great risk for staying at the kololi beach resort. they are 60 quids and was wondering i f i really need them

sam

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • doodybee's Profile Photo

Re: Panic - travel vaccinations

by doodybee Online Now Feb 11, 2008 at 8:15 AM

it.d cost a lot more than 60 quid if you were to fall foul of yellow fever and your insurance company may not be willing to pay up if the jab was recommended and you didn't have it

hope you sort it
    julie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Online Now Feb 11, 2008 at 8:32 AM

As stated by Julie, I'm sure your life is worth more than £60 to you.

But, more importantly, you need to have a yellow fever certificate to show that you have been vaccinated when returning from a yellow fever area and to be allowed to travel into other countries if you have travelled to a yellow fever area. This, of course, would easily be evidenced from the entry and exit stamps in your passport.

• Yellow Fever

by Dasray Online Now Feb 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM

On Friday, I returned from The Gambia having spent a period doing voluntary work as a midwife.

Let me first stress that yellow fever immunization is NOT a statutory requirement for entry into The Gambia, although it is recommended. If you haven't had it, you won't be denied entry back into the UK but as far as travelling to other countries in the future is concerned ~ I'm not sure about this as each have their own stipulated entry requirements. If you do decide to be vaccinated against yellow fever, you will be given a yellow booklet containing your immunization status. This will be dated, stamped and signed by the administrating practitioner. I DID have the vaccination but amazingly on no occasion did anyone in authority ever ask me about this.

Therefore, it is entirely your choice whether or not you have the jab but do bear in mind it should be administered no less than 10 days before you arrive in The Gambia.

Hope this helps.

• ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Feb 11, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I am a great advocate for people having shots when travelling.
    The Gambia is considered a very low risk Yellow Fever zone.
    I checked with my doctor and practice nurse before I went out there, I was told that it was not required. That was a couple of years ago.

However, if I were to return to The Gambia, I would have the jabs.
    I have known a couple of people who have returned from holiday in The Gambia and died shortly after their return, not with yellow fever, but had been bitten whilst out there.
    Shop round for your jabs; I think you should be able to get them cheaper.
    Remember, £60 brings you back safe and sound; it will cost your family £5000+ to bring your body back.

Sorry for the scare, but Africa is not to be messed with.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines