Kololi Travel Answers

change location

mansea beach resort

by carlyz Online Now Feb 15, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Hi i'm to the mansea in 2 weeks with my boyfriend and i was wondering if anyone could advise me what it is like? also i have told a white lie and told the other half that it is a 3 star not a 2 as he insisted on at least 3 stars but it saved us nearly £200 so i thought what the hell am i likely to be rumbled???? if anyone has any pic's i would much aphreciate it thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: mansea beach resort

by neiltilley Online Now Oct 8, 2007 at 1:27 PM

never been there. i do 5* but i cruise around kololi and locally with friends gained over the years since 1995... i meet many northerners and scottish travellers who adore mansea. they say it's the feeling of genuine hospitality and a lovely atmosphere created from that... it may be a northern england clientelle due to that friendliness... i'm english, london, south. i don't meet english who stay at mansea... londoners and south of england people choose the spanish sounding palma rima 3*, my first stay... nice but i'll go 5* everytime now... must visit babala park hotel or bungalow beach as that is where you may unexpectedly find a reggae star staying... get in my favourite restaurants in kololi too -alitaliana restaurant, kololi beach club restaurant, shikra in kairaba hotel, afra fm westfield/radio station direction and a crazy reggae night go to sunsplash near the shearaton brufut- not tried the sheraton restaurant but you should have a look.. kids go to luigis near palma rima.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by chess123 Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 11:10 PM

hi, we've been to the Mansea several times, in fact my pal and his girlfriend went yesterday and we all love it. Ive stayed in several hotels in The Gambia and can say that its perfectly ok. You can't really use the star rating in Africa the same as in Europe.
    When you arrive you might find the room a bit dated but after a day or two you won't even notice.It even has Sat TV with a film channel running 24/7. A couple of years ago I had a bout of stomach trouble and lay in bed for two days! The film channel kept me sane! The staff are really nice, breakfasts on the terrace are fine.Pool and bar really good. Just up from the beach. Try the Seaview Beach bar at the end of the track. It has proper toilets and running water! I havent eaten any other meals in the hotel as there is so much choice out and about.
    Opposite the hotel gates is a short cut direct to "the Strip" whare all the bars, restaurants and clubs are. I suggest you go to Aquarius late on if you fanvy a dance. Its safe, air cond. and the music is fine but ALWAYS get atxi back. Don't use the short cut..its a bit mingy and very dark at night. ok during the day but be careful of tripping up!
    Im assuning that this is your first visit? If so you are in for a treat but you must be prepared to accept this is Africa. Get out and about, see the place, meet the people but keep your wits about you. There are some who seem to think that tourists are walking piggy banks. There is a general attitude that if they have nothing, you should be prepared to give them something. We have had loads of heated discussions with gambkians about this. They seem to think that because you are there you must be rich. my pal tried to explain that he has to work and save hard for his holiday. It still doesn't sink home!
    Outside the hotel you will see some taxis. Have a chat with the "controller".
    He is called Joe....One of the drivers is called Moses (Moshi). He's a great guy and will look after you but always ask the fare and stick to it. Don't over tip as if ruins their economy. (tell Moses the Newcastle lads Ches, Smudge Tony Ricky) are coming over 26th Feb but we couldn't get into the Mansea and we are at the Palma Rima! have a good hol!

by mickone Online Now Mar 4, 2009 at 7:35 AM

mansea beach is fine,,,,just out of the noise zone,,,,,best place for taxi is down the bottom of the lane ,,outside the hotel will rip u off,,,,even the controller, who really is a taxi driver with no taxi lol,,,he feeds from the extra they rip off you,,,find a good taxi an stick to it,,,its very cheap,,,just halve there first price,,,leave or walk away,,,you will soon be called back
    all staff in the hotel are great a small tip goes a long way,,,,ill be going on 1st april 3rd time to mansea,,,,we love it,,take care an enjoy,,,anything else u need to know,,,just ask mick

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines