Kololi Travel Answers

change location

taking items to help schools, orphanages, etc

by 11jetsetter Online Now Dec 17, 2006 at 12:50 PM

hi, we are going to kololi in feb, with first choice, and we have been collecting different items to take over for the schools, orphanages etc. we contacted first choice to see if we could be allowed a little extra weight allowance, just incase, but they said that it is not allowed unless it is done through a registered charity. can anyone help with any info on how we could even join a charity as we really would like to help out. we are planning to go to kenya later on in the year,and would like to take items with us also. any info would be grately appreciated, thanks. does anyone know of anywhere in kololi that would benefit of anything that we could take with us?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: taking items to help schools, orphanages, etc

by vtgambia Online Now Dec 19, 2006 at 1:54 PM

Check out Gambia Tourist Support, a really good organization. Google on Gts gambia. They will give you loads of info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: taking items to help schools, orphanages, etc

by gloriatony Online Now Jan 1, 2007 at 3:26 AM

Great idea we took lots of things for the children and they loved the little bubble pots.We were not allowed any extra weight but loaded up our hand luggage.When we went on the trip to the school we were told to put all gifts on the head masters desk not give to children locked outside the school or to children individually in the school.There was no evidence in the classrooms of a pencil or a book only the blackboard and chalk.Whether this is true or not we were told by English people living out there permanently that these items are sold on and not given to the children there.We saved some and did not leave it all there and handed it around as and when but the guides get very funny with you and we even saw one of them called "chicken George" with a stick hitting the kids to go away. Next time we go I shall still take things but we will go to a school on our own when out with a taxi driver and stop where we think and give to who we think. I am not saying all this is 100% correct but we were not alone in our findings and our thoughts. Hope this helps we absolutely loved it there and would certainly go again.

• Re: taking items to help schools, orphanages, etc

by Rohey Online Now Oct 31, 2007 at 12:02 AM

you can take items to a school that we have built over on the north bank at a village called Mamuda. Lams tours, situated near the bungalow beach craft market will take you there. He is a personable young gambian man who runs tours around the country at reasonable prices and he will show you the real Gambia. Another school to visit is old Yundum school run by a headmaster who is a friend of ours. i can assure you that all contributions will go to the school. We have been going to the Gambia for ten years and now spend six months each year there,

• carolondon's Profile Photo

Re: taking items to help schools, orphanages, etc

by carolondon Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Contact your airline direct, not the tour operator. I tried to secure extra luggage allowance for donations we are taking on our trip to the gambia this week. Booked through Direct line and they were no help at all, leaving my emails unanswered and finally I got through and they said contact the airline. Our flights were with Thomas Cook airlines and when I called she said confirmation for extra luggage allowance must be made a minumum of 3 days before flying and that they have 2 codes, one for registered charities, allowing 20 kg per person extra at no additional charge, or for non-registered charities for 10 kg per person.
    They were happy to do it and we will be dropping our donations off at a local school.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines