Kololi Travel Answers

change location

Mansea Beach Resort

by DebnRob Online Now Jul 17, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Hi Everyone.............GREAT Forum and some good Questions on here.

We're wanting to go to The Gambia for Christmas,and we're just wondering what the whole experience is like..............we're really into,"local foods" and are wanting to know what like the "local" food is like,ie. spicy,fresh,cost,authentic,best places to get it nearby,etc.
We are going B/B to get the whole Gambian food experience,as we've been places before,and had to eat McDonalds,KFC,Burger King,etc(Urghhhhh,lol).

Also,has anyone been to said resort?And whats it like..........rooms,cleanliness,........the usual tourist questions,lol.We're not expecting the Hilton,Radisson,etc......but dont want to spend a fortnight in a hovel.
Any Info on the resort,food,etc,would be great.
Thanks for your time on this post
DebnRob

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • steve1975l's Profile Photo

RE: Mansea Beach Resort

by steve1975l Online Now Jul 20, 2006 at 11:23 AM

The food is very good, all different types but my favourite was Weezos.

Have a look at www.gambia.co.uk lots of information there.

At the airport get a porter to pick your luggae off the belt and he will get out of the airport quicker as he barages people out the way. Just give him a pound coin for each bag.

People will keep pestering you when they see a white body. Just ignore them or say no, don't say maybe otherwise they will remember you and find you.

Have a good time I am sure you will.

Steve.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jigeen's Profile Photo

RE: Mansea Beach Resort

by jigeen Online Now Jul 28, 2006 at 8:40 AM

hello,
    the location of the Hotel is not too bad, just a stroll to the beach. But poor facilities of shoping, for that you have to go to Senegambia area, 10 minutes walk.

Try GTS Restaurant. The food is good, prices are reasonable, and they can give a lot of good advise also.
    gts.crosswinds.net/mystery.h...

Most restaurants are owned by Lebanese and don't offer authentic Gambian food. Try Mama's Restaurant at Kotu Highway.

One local (I mean very local!) Gambian Restaurant: The junction at Senegambia, where you find the craft market: Cross the highway and go into Kololi, straight until you find a local shp on your right side, located at the entry of a compound. The other side is a little restaurant. You have to know where it is otherwise you miss it!

A hint: don't book trips in the hotel, they are expensive. It's more fun to do it with a local driver. But don't forget to bargain, otherwise you overpay ;-)

Wish you a great time!

• RE: Mansea Beach Resort

by robandgold Online Now Jul 31, 2006 at 4:57 AM

gambia is like nothing you have ever experienced when we went the first time i hated it for the first 3 days the it happened it is great eat local, the food is special as well. you must go to senegambia for new year all the hotels have fireworks go on a cruise up the river gambia and swim off the boat the whole thing is special and sunshine try aj,s bar on kololi junction go on the bus 5 dahlasi. it has become so special we now live here

• RE: RE: Mansea Beach Resort

by Banjulbabe Online Now Nov 18, 2006 at 4:48 AM

Hi robangold, my husband and i are buying a business in The Gambia and we hope to be livin their in the near future. As you have moved to Gambia just wondered what you do for health care and dentists eye tests etc. Only my 14 year old daughter has just been told she needs a brace and i'm a little concerned about wether to just get it done privatly here in England or find a good Dentist once we arrive in Gambia. Also my other concern is schooling.You may not have children but if you have any info it would be greatly appreciated. I think maybe the European or American school would be a good option. I pressume you have settled into the Gambian way of life and enjoying there laid back ways.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines