Travel Answers
Kokshetau

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Spending a month this summer in Almaty, would appreciate some information:

Almaty Apr 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Greetings;

I will be in Almaty for a month (mid-July to mid-August), teaching at KIMEP. I have several questions:

1) Is there a possibility of finding (buying) an inexpensive basic bicycle for transportation?

2) Is there an English-language book exchange in the area (so I don't have to too many paperbacks)?

3) I don't know if the University has a swimming pool I can use, but if not, can anyone tell me the cost for a one-month membership / pass to use the Central Swimming Pool, or as alternative the CK Rakhat Fitness?

4) I see several tennis courts; is tennis popular? Might I be able to find some doubles play?

5) Looking at Lonely Planet (which seems to have the most complete description), it appears that the public transit system is meager. Will it be of much use to me from the area where KIMEP is located?

6) Other than "pubs" or drinking, what are the evening / weekend social activities?

Thanks in advance!

DrE

more

Near Kokshetau