Kodiak Island Travel Answers

change location
a96m97's Profile Photo

flying from Anchorage and back

by a96m97 Online Now May 16, 2006 at 6:47 AM

We have booked a 3-night bear viewing tour in Uyak Bay from Aug. 23 to 26.
First, we will have to fly to Kodiak from Anchorage. Then we will reach Uyak Bay by floatplane.
I have heard the weather is often rainy and/or foggy in Kodiak Island.
I think the floatplane trips' schedule may easily change.
But what about the flights from/to Anchorage?
Does it often happen that they are cancelled or delayed because of bad weather?
There are several daily flights and I don't know whether I should book much in advance or later on or ... ?
When a flight is cancelled because of weather, does the airline usually try to move people to the next available flight automatically?
Many thanks for any suggestions about this subject.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • tmaresh's Profile Photo

RE: flying from Anchorage and back

by tmaresh Online Now May 16, 2006 at 7:18 AM

I flew Anchorage to Kokiak fifteen years ago. There was no weather problem. The island itself is cold and damp. Weather delays are endemic to the entire state: e.g., Alaska Airlines has the worst on-time performance of all U.S. carriers. It's probably because of ice storms, fog, volcanic ash, etc. I may have simply lucked out with weather issues when I went.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MTrav's Profile Photo

by MTrav Online Now May 17, 2006 at 1:46 AM

Era Airlines has several flights between Anchorage and Kodiak each day. They are a good, reputable company. If you are delayed becuase of weather, Im sure they will get you there as soon as possible.

I think you shoud make about a half-day leeway in your plans. If there is one more flight after the one you are booked on, then your chances of making your trip to Uyak will be very good.

Mike

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

RE: RE: flying from Anchorage and back

by RickinDutch Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 9:48 AM

Sounds like good planning so far - August is the best month for flying weather. After the fog season and before the storms of autumn. I've heard great things about Uyak Lodge - good choice.
    As far as flying - is the float plane part of the package? It usually is and if so they will cater to your sked and any last minute delays. Both ERA and Alaska would roll you over to next available seats in the event of a flight cancelling - the problem lies in when next available seats are. This is peak travel season for the region. But, again, chance of delays cancelling due to weather are minimal in August.

Dress and expect rain but August is least rainy month. Can get as warm as 70F.

• MossCanoe's Profile Photo

by MossCanoe Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 10:07 AM

The reality is that in the arctic, weather is a consideration every day of the year. In the summer, flights ceilings changes hour by hour. In southcentral Alaska, the summers are rainy--that's how it is in coastal climates of the north. I know. I lived in Anchorage 22 years.
    Your airline will do it's best to get you out on the next flight. My suggestion is that if you have appointments anywhere off the road system, you accomendate yourself to the weather by traveling with a day or two leeway, rather than relying on a hope the sky clears--doesn't happen, much to the disappointment of Alaskans wishing for some sun after nine months of winter.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines