Kodiak Island Travel Answers

change location
kyjenna's Profile Photo

last minute trip - need some advice

by kyjenna Online Now Feb 6, 2005 at 10:55 PM

i'm taking a last-minute, short trip to kodiak this thursday (feb 10) through tuesday. this is my first trip. i need any pointers on what to pack. i'm trying to take basics, but i get cold so easily. i know it's going to be frigid up there but am not sure what's enough and what will be too much. if anyone has any advice regarding gear - or anything else that would help someone new to alaska traveling - it would be much appreciated. thanks, jenna

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • katmai's Profile Photo

Re: last minute trip - need some advice

by katmai Online Now Feb 7, 2005 at 8:49 PM

Plan to dress in layers so you can always remove some if your too warm(not likely this time of year). Pack a winter coat good for 0 degree weather with a hood if possible. A warm hat, gloves/mittens, scarf and wool socks along with insulated boots are all a good idea. We have been having an unpredictable winter, but mostly it has been in the 20's with very little snow. Basically a bitter, dry cold has been the average weather. And speaking of dry bring skin moisturizing cream, plan to drink lots of water, and some vitamin E & C caps/tablets will help. Even eye drops and nasal (saline) spray would help you to feel comfortable as well even on the plane ride up & over to Kodiak. Have a good trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • katmai's Profile Photo

Re: Re: last minute trip - need some advice

by katmai Online Now Feb 7, 2005 at 11:53 PM

The current weather in Kodiak is calling for rain/snow in the high 30's to low 40's. This is warmer than I said previously. Also there is a high wind advisory. That being the case think water and wind proof for a coat and footwear also.

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Re: last minute trip - need some advice

by kaloz Online Now Feb 13, 2005 at 5:10 PM

Sorry my answer is after the fact, but if you are still here and access a computer, go and meet Herzog63 at Bases Loaded a shop downtown. He will help you, and possibly get you in contact with me. We love it when VTers come to Kodiak. Sorry I didn't check this forum sooner. Happy Valentine's Day Nick

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines