Kodiak Travel Answers

change location

kodiak Fort Abercrombie etc

by mheidt Online Now Jul 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM

We will be arriving in Kodiak via cruise ship. If we want to go to Ft. Abercrombie State Park, is there any public transportation to get there from the pier? Are there taxis in town, or would I need to rent a car? We will only have about 5 hrs to explore the area-- any other suggestions? thanks in advance for the help.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Re: kodiak Fort Abercrombie etc

by RickinDutch Online Now Jul 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM

There isn't any public transport to Ft Abercrombie from Pier 2 where cruise ships dock. Taxis are available and most cruise lines are met with buses that tour the major sights.
    If I have enough warning, I might be able to break away from work and give you a ride. I work right there at pier 2. When are you coming?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: kodiak Fort Abercrombie etc

by mheidt Online Now Jul 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM

rickindutch- we arrive on the HAL Amsterdam on Wednesday Sept 1 and we're in town from 7-1. We are trying to think of how to spend our time-- not interested in the ship's excursions--too expensive and it feels like cattle being herded around. Do you think the Fort is a good idea? How much and how long would a taxi take?
    We are also talking to Mary HOHO tour about a 2 hour tour of the area in her van(she does not go to the fort) or Dake from memorymakes about a 3 hour tour(he includes the fort)- we are interested in enjoying the beauty of this quiet town. Are you familiar with either of these folks?
    Or do you think with the short time we have that we could just go to the fort on our own? What would you suggest for the time that we have there?

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Re: kodiak Fort Abercrombie etc

by RickinDutch Online Now Jul 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Why don't I take a few hours and show you the highlights? 9/1 should be fairly calm enough at work for me to break away for a little while. I'll show you the highlights (and Ft Abercrombie would be on my short list) and then if we run out of time I can leave you where ever you like.
    My office is right at the pier where you pull in. Horizon Lines, where I work, handles the lines for the cruise ships. Just come in and ask for Rick. Be fun to break away from the office for a bit.
    I don't know either of those guides, but that doesn't mean much, since I've never needed to take a tour.
    Not sure how many in your group. I just have a Chevy Trailblazer. Room for maybe 4 adults besides me. If something comes up where I can't break away, I'll send an email thru VT.
    Rick

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines