Kodiak Travel Answers

change location

would love some suggestions

by tyandbensmom Online Now Jul 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Hi, I will be traveling from Massachusetts To Kodiak in a few weeks, and would love some suggestions as to what to do, bring, pack, etc.

Should I pack really warm? Fleece and Gortex jacket enough? Hiking boots? Shorts? does it get warm?

I would love to go kayaking for a day trip. can anyone recommend a few places?

How about good places to eat?

I am planning on renting a car to see the entire island. any places that are a must see?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

Re: would love some suggestions

by ricky52 Online Now Aug 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
    Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
    The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for Kodiak for this time of year.
    Enjoy your holiday.

August.
    High 61f / 16c
    Low 48f / 9c
    Rain 5.10in / 130.0mm
    Rain days 16
    Hours of sun 7
    Daylight hours 15
    UV level 4 = Moderate
    Humidity = None
    Sea temp 54f / 12c

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • onebadcat's Profile Photo

by onebadcat Online Now Aug 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM

i would plan for everything and bring multiple layers instead of one or two heavy layers. The shorts can probably be left at home unless you are a real sweaty kind of a guy. If you want them maybe zip offs would be a good solution? I would plan for days when you will be wearing a long underwear top, fleece jacket and your gore shell and if its raining you still may want your wooly hat and some gloves. Course you could get blue bomber weather and be sweating your butt off in pants and a t-shirt? If you have a rental car you will likely explore the entire road system because there just isn't that much road out there. Lots of great spots to check out but don't know anything about kayaking out there. Hope this helped?

Scott

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Aug 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM

The summer here in Kodiak started out with an unusual warm and sunny streak. 3 weeks of sun and temps clibing over 75 on occassion. We have been back to the usual cycle of 2-3 days of rain followed by 2-3 days of sun/overcast.
    Kodiak has always been rainy but lately seems to get more of the heavy deluge type rain. Good rain gear and boots are a must to really enjoy yourself.
    Lots to see and do. Are you visiting relatives or being a full time tourist?
    Rick

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines