Kodaikanal Travel Answers

change location

right time.

by nasrin.ladak Online Now May 20, 2011 at 7:25 AM

I plan to go to kodaikanal on 28th may 2011 is this the right time to go there how will the climate be ther.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: right time.

by jamescwells Online Now May 20, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Hi - I think that Kodaikanal is likely to be very hot regardless of the time of year you plan to travel. However, rainfall will affect humidity levels and for your comfort I'd recommend avoiding times with high rainfall and thunderstorms. The best time to go is probably January - April. May is likely to be the hottest time of year. In nearby Chennai (world-climates.com/city-clim... ) October and November are the true rainy seasons, but closer to the coast in Thiruvananthapuram (world-climates.com/city-clim... ) there are two rainy seasons, one in June and one again in October. As Kodaikanal is inland, my advice is that you'll be fine, but make sure you prepare for the heat, potential humidity and chances of sudden, heavy downpours. Light quick-drying clothing is probably the best, some light waterproofs and footwear with grip that dries quickly. Hope that helps! And most of all, enjoy your trip! India is a wonderful country!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hcosgrave's Profile Photo

Re: right time.

by hcosgrave Online Now May 22, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Just a word of caution here - Kodaikanal is a high hill station - I remember the days being very pleasant - far cooler and less humid than down in the plains at Chennai/Madras, and other southern coastal towns - more like our best Irish summer days.

However at night I remember it was really very cold in Koidakanal. We were staying in a Government guesthouse which had no staff working at night so we couldn't get extra bedclothes. We searched the cupboards in the corridors to no avail!! We had to layer all the clothes we had with us & we were still very cold overnight. Also the mornings were damp & misty until the sun burned it off around midday.

We are Irish and used to cool climates, but this was different.

This was more than 20 years ago & I am not 100% sure of the time of year, however I think it was around the end of March.

Don't expect tempersatures similar to coastal regions in this high hill station. By the way I still remember the amazing views from the Green Valley Viewpoint / Lovers Leap area, and some really lovely walks in the hills.
    Enjoy,
    Hugh

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines