Kobe Travel Answers

change location
celem's Profile Photo

Port to Kobe Nunobiki Herb Garden & Ropeway

by celem Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I will arrive into Kobe on April 28, 2013 aboard the Celebrity Millennium cruise ship. I believe that we will dock at pier 4 (where the Port Liner runs) but I have not been able to confirm this. Our first destination is the Kobe Nunobiki Herb Garden & Ropeway (my wife is an herb Gardner). What is the best way to get from the port to Nunobiki Herb Garden? Train? Taxi? what?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Re: Port to Kobe Nunobiki Herb Garden & Ropeway

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I have done it on foot but I had plenty of time It is quite a long way.. From the port take the subway to Sannomiya Station, change lines and take subway to Shin Kobe Station. Entrance to the ropeway is near Shin Kobe Station. It is signposted. Near the lower entrance to the ropeway there are some lovely old houses wehre foreigners in Kobe once lived. Some are now museums, shops, restaurants. There is also a waterfall a little way behind Shin Kobe Station. The herb garden is at the top of the ropway.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • celem's Profile Photo

by celem Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I think that we'll take the ropeway up and walk down. Thanks!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• dru46's Profile Photo

by dru46 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Assuming you are at the Port Liner station, take the Port Liner to Sannomiya, then switch to the subway and head to Shin Kobe Station. Pretty simple. As said, there are a lot of signs telling you where to go. It is a little confusing, hence all the signage. Sannomiya may be a bit confusing at first but just keep your head up and signs will be around to help you.

If you are arriving at the other terminal, at Meriken Park, I would take a taxi as the subway is not that close. You can always walk up to Chinatown before taking a subway up to Shin-Kobe.

Your plan to take the ropeway up and walk down is pretty good. The hike up the mountain is not difficult. I believe it is fully paved. It isn't very well marked in English but there are large signs. If you feel adventurous, head to the first floor (feels almost like a basement) and head out the doors. There is a large sign on a wall that says "Nunobiki Falls". Head up the road and you should be okay. There are a few maps with large red lines marking the trail. The maps are pretty good.

Nunobiki Falls are also one of the top 3 literary water falls in Japan. They have been written about by many people. Hope that you can enjoy them.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines