Ko Lipe Travel Answers

change location

Getting from Langkawi to Ko Lipe

by EmiToe Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Hi!
I was thinking about taking a small trip to Ko Lipe, Thailand during my stay in Langkawi. However, I am a bit confused on how to get there. I understand there is ferries between the islands, but that they only operate from October to April? I will stay on Langkawi from April 29 - May 8. Is it impossible to get to Ko Lipe and back? I did find a site who allowed me to book tickets, but on www.kohlipethailand.com it says that there is no direct ferry from Langkawi to Koh Lipe in May.

Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Re: Getting from Langkawi to Ko Lipe

by lotharscheer Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM

If there is no direct boat (i am sitting at a quite slow internet in africa), take a minibus to Trang and from there an other one to Pak Bara, the direct boat is quite expensive, it will be allmost half the price, may be even faster, but you have to start early

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lipee's Profile Photo

by Lipee Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

The direct speedboat traffic from Telaga Harbour on Langkawi to Koh Lipe ends May 31.

However, you can not make a reservation on kohlipethailand.com in May.
    You must do it on this link: http://telagaterminal.rezgo.com/

• Lipee's Profile Photo

by Lipee Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM

@lotharscheer, Why go to Trang and after that to Pak Barra in low season (after May 31st)? This is a crazy tip.

If you do this you will pass outside Pak Barra on the way to Trang and go another 100 km to Trang and another 100 km back to Pak Barra.

If you go to Lipe in low season from Langkawi you must take the ferry to Tammalang Pier in Satun province and from there a taxi 1 hour to Pak Barra Pier. From the pier you take the speedboat transfer 1,5 hours to Lipe.

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

by limkahwan Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM

From November to April (high season) Koh Lipe can be reached by boat from Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta and several islands in (including Langkawi) the Andaman Sea with daily ferries to and from all locations.
    From May to November Koh Lipe can only be reached from Pak Barra only, with 1 daily boat going all year.
    If you want to travel to Koh Lipe from Malaysia via Langkawi you can only do it in high season,During low season you have to travel to Satun and on to Pak Barra, From Langkawi, Malaysia there are two speedboats per day (from November until April): one at 9:45 am costing 128 Malaysian Ringit and one at 2:30 pm, costing 118 Malaysian Ringit; alternatively.

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

by limkahwan Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM

From November to April (high season) Koh Lipe can be reached by boat from Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta and several islands in (including Langkawi) the Andaman Sea with daily ferries to and from all locations.
    From May to November Koh Lipe can only be reached from Pak Barra only, with 1 daily boat going all year.
    If you want to travel to Koh Lipe from Malaysia via Langkawi you can only do it in high season,During low season you have to travel to Satun and on to Pak Barra, From Langkawi, Malaysia there are two speedboats per day (from November until April): one at 9:45 am costing 128 Malaysian Ringit and one at 2:30 pm, costing 118 Malaysian Ringit; alternatively.

• Lipee's Profile Photo

by Lipee Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:03 AM

@limkahwan,

As I said above in my first post you can go direct by speedboat from Langkawi to Lipe until May 31st. The traffic starts again Oct 20th.

Talking about the traffic from Pak Barra in low season. Nowadays we have two daily speedboat transfers to/from Lipe.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

by lotharscheer Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Sorry was thinking of Ko Lanta to Ko Lipe

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines