Ko Chang Travel Answers

change location
pacsail's Profile Photo

Koh Chang swimming

by pacsail Online Now Dec 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM

My wife and I have been coming to Thailand for 5 years and have visited most of the islands on both sides of the mainland. Because I like clear water and swim long distance, we've really enjoyed Koh Tao, having coral & tropical fish, right off the beach from our Bungalows. Is there a beach in Koh Chang similar to Koh Tao with clear water right off the beach and perhaps a bit of coral and tropical fish to keep it entertaining? If not, would you have another destination you'd recommend, I'd appreciate it.

Thank-you. Marc

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Thai-Guy's Profile Photo

Re: Koh Chang swimming

by Thai-Guy Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Glad to see another swimmer.

Your best bet is to go south on Koh Chang. Near the Siam Bay Resort there some small islands you can swim out to and snorkle around.

One small island is about .3 miles out and I've been there when it was low tide and I walked out to the island without having to swim (I'm 6'-1") but I've swam to that island a couple of times. Further out are a few more islands ranging from about .8 miles then .4 miles to the next and one last one about another .2 miles. You will see some fish near the further out islands. I heard there are some sea snakes near backside of the first island but never saw them myself. For the record, I've been scuba diving in the Philippines and encountered sea snakes and they left us alone. They are fun to watch as they hunt for food in little cracks / crevices. Last time I was there was December 2008 and the water was like glass. It was a great day for a swim / kayak. My wife prefers the kayak and I prefer to swim.

Google Earth, search > N12 1.000 E102 17.400

From there you will see the small islands off the coast.

Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines