Kleve Travel Answers

change location

Planning a visit in August

by Zimmerframe Online Now Feb 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I'm planning to visit Kleve in August this year. I plan to drive from the UK in a 2 seat sports car, (MX5). My son will also be travelling with me using his motorbike.

The primary reason for the trip is to visit the Reichswold War cemetery where my uncle is buried. The trip would be made over a 4 day weekend and we would plan to leave the UK on Friday and return on Monday.

We would most likely use a ferry, (though the Euro tunnel is a possibility too) either to France or Holland and drive from there.

Can you suggest some car and bike freindly places to stay in or around Kleve. Not nessesarily hotels but secure parking is required. Bed and breakfast or possibly half board. A smaller type accomodation is what we would want. Farm houses possibly?

We would also like to tour round for a couple of days while we are there. are there any nice driving roads in the area?

Any other tips at all gratefully received.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Gili_S's Profile Photo

Re: Planning a visit in August

by Gili_S Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 12:57 AM

No one go to Keleve for tourism but yes you have your reasons which is understandable. For basic info on the town check this official site www.kleve.de. As you are mobile, should be always easy to find in town or any other towns around some guesthouse or Zimmer where you can stay overnight. On the motorways anyway will be places for rest, you can always park there if you wish and sleep in the car. I cannot think of a nice driving roads in the area, it is total FLAT as it is the low lands and not very exotic scenery, but maybe someone that knows better can come up with an idea, I haven’t been there for many years. To see around you must visit the town on Xanten, and old Roman town with interesting archeology sites and very nice old city to hang out. It is just about half an hour away and of course, it is also more recommended to stay overnight there then Kleve, much more interesting place and many of choices where to eat. Then of course in one of the days I recommend to visit Düsseldorf old city, that is about 100 km from Kleve. The are many more interesting places and towns around, maybe some locals will come up with more idea here.
    Regarding the ferry, I assume crossing to Holland will make your drive shorter but the time on the ferry is longer, so make your own calculations which is maybe the cheaper and more convenience to use.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • abalada's Profile Photo

Re: Planning a visit in August

by abalada Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Kleve tourism on accommodation
    kleve-tourismus.de/unterkuen...
    Or contact them directly by e-mail
    stadtmarketing‎@‎kleve.de
    They have also some brochures in English which you can download from this page
    kleve-tourismus.de/service-k...

> Not nessesarily hotels but secure parking is required.
    Not sure if this is offered. I mean: nobody offers something which is normally not asked for. For a reason of course.

> are there any nice driving roads in the area
    Buy a street map locally where the scenic roads are marked. On a map I have this is e.g. the route from Kleve through the Reichswald forest and than via Kevealer to Straelen. Also scenic route options from Kleve to Geldern via Xanten. Won't change of course the fact that this region is really flat.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines