Kleve Travel Answers

change location
JHR's Profile Photo

Weeze, Kleve, Emmerich - general advice please

by JHR Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I have just booked Ryanair flights to Weeze, just for the hell of it and because the tickets were so cheap. I fly in on the Friday, fly out on the Monday, at the end of March. I have sorted out accommodation for Friday and Sunday in Weeze itself - but due to a Marathon or Fun-run being held in the area, I need to find accommodation away from Weeze on the Saturday. I was thinking of Kleve or Emmerich. I see that DB trains run from Weeze to Kleve. Question 1. Is it easy to get from Kleve to Emmerich by bus? Question 2. Where would you suggest staying, Kleve or Emmerich? (I am drawn to Emmerich by the prospect of views of the Rhine). This trip is just a bit of a bummel (obscure English word taken from the German) - with no fixed agenda. I do have a Degree in European Humanities, and an interest in architecture, art, history etc. (but no real inclination to go into Dusseldorf) - Any tips on small local museums, churches, or places of historical interest would be much appreciated. I am learning German at my local Goethe Institut - if it is easier, please feel free to reply in German!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Bernd_L's Profile Photo

Re: Weeze, Kleve, Emmerich - general advice please

by Bernd_L Online Now Feb 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Considering the interests you mentioned I would recommend Xanten. It is a small town with a lot of history dating back to the romans. It is situated at the Rhine only a few kilometers from Weeze. You can go there by train from Weeze (www.bahn.de). Between Weeze train station and the airport there is a shuttle bus.

Have a look at this websites:
    http://www.xanten.de/en/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanten

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Xanten for sure. The town, the cathedral, and the archeological park with the ancient Roman excavations. I second Bernd's recommendation.

Then there is Germany's second largest pilgrimage centre with three interesting churches next-door to Weeze: Kevelaer. This is worth seeing if you are interested in church art and history.
    Official website with all details: http://www.wallfahrt-kevelaer.de (click the union jack for the English version).

• JHR's Profile Photo

Thanks for the helpful advice

by JHR Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Thankyou very much for your suggestion. I will consider going to Xanten - the only town in Germany to start with an 'X' (it says in Wikipedia). As an ex-classicist (I studied Latin, Greek and Ancient History a LONG time ago), perhaps I really should visit what was once a major Roman town. Thinking about it, perhaps I could get down my old copy of Tacitus and go a bit further afield to Kalkriese and the site of the battle of the Teutoburg Forest. "Well done, Arminius!" is my general sentiment...

Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen seems a really pleasant place. My apologies for never having heard of it before now - despite it's significance to Germany's nuclear reseach industry. And Andreasbräu seems like a very fine brewery...
    Perhaps I should get round to visiting Baden-Württemberg one day.

My apologies for not writing this in German. I could, honestly - if I had the time, and access to my dictionary and grammar-book! My next German lesson is tonight! More on 'Konjunktiv II', and on the formation of 'das Passiv' - I can't wait! The only problem with a rule-based language, which German is and English most definitely is not, is learning the rules...

Thanks and Best Wishes

James (JHR)

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo

by Bernd_L Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 6:37 AM

You are welcome, James. And if you decide to visit Baden-Württemberg drop us a line and we'll see if we can arrange a VT-meeting.

And there is nothing wrong with posting this in english. Here in the forum it's the lingua franca. But as you are dealing with 'Konjunktiv II' and 'Passiv' I'm sure your German must be pretty good already. Enjoy your lessons. ;o)

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

by RhineRoll Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Xanten for sure! Another nice city is Nijmegen just behind the Dutch border. If the choice is between Kleve and Emmerich, I'd choose Kleve. There is more to see and do, also a couple of indoors options in case the weather turns really bad.

BTW there is also a bus connection from Weeze airport to Cologne.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 25, 2009 at 12:47 PM

You must be advanced indeed! 90% of all Germans have no idea how to use Konjunktiv I and II correctly.

Enjoy your trip!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines