Kissimmee Travel Answers

change location

Accommodation for 2-3 months close to airport?

by natashayonucu Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Hello all

I am really hoping somebody has the knowledge to help me out here.

Me and my partner are moving to Kissimmee for 2-3 months in April, We need a one bedroom apartment but am finding it very hard to find somewhere which rents for this short amount of time, most only rent for a minimum of 7 months.

The only restriction to our accommodation is that it needs to be within a bike ride/bus distance from the airport.

I really hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Natasha

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Accommodation for 2-3 months close to airport?

by goodfish Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Natasha, have you tried VRBO.com or Homeaway.com?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

You probabily will not find anyone to rent to you for less than 7 months simply because Florida has a "tourist tax" of 15 percent which is collected from all landlords who rent for LESS than 7 months. Any rental of less than 7 months is considered as a tourist rental.....very transient.....and the government wants its cut of that tourist dollar. If the landlord rents for less than 7 months, he has to pay this 15 percent. So that1000 a month rental suddenly becomes1150. If you do find someone who will rent for less than 7 months, you have either a disreputable landlord or a very uninformed landlord.

by goodfish Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Good info, Cathy. Can't they just pass that 15% onto the renter? It doesn't sound like it's illegal or anything as long as the tax is paid? We've stayed in a few VRBOs/Homeaways where tax was tacked onto the daily/weekly tariff.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Yes Kate, The landlord COULD pass the 15 % tax onto the renter for the short term period. However, that raises the rent so much as I illustrated above that most folks don't like the price. The other thing is dealig with the government and filing the extra tax forms, etc. Too much hassle when the landlord sees not one penny more to himself for all the hassle.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

When you are paying for a hotel room, motel room , or condo etc, that 15 % tax (or whatever percent it is) is EXPECTED. Vacationers for a week or two expect to pay that on top of the room rate. However, when a landlord ADVERTISES his condo for say1,000 a month and you show up wanting to rent for 2-3 months, he has to RAISE the rent to1,150 for you to include the extra150. All of a sudden the renter thinks something is amiss or he is being scammed. That in addition to the hassle with filing separate forms and paying the government is usually more than most landlords want to fool with. I should not say that IF you find someone to rent fo less than 7 months, you have a disreputable landlord or an uninformed one. That would be true only if they did not ADD the 15 %.
    Some will rent at the exact same price without the tax....that's when they are illegal or uninformed. :-)

by goodfish Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Additional tax was clearly indicated on the properties we rented. Not sure why anyone would think that's a scam. Hmmmmm.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Most of those places that you refer to ARE rented on a daily or weekly basis as you mentioned you did. And in those cases, the tax is clearly posted. However, when you consider that those places are normally (what?) about100 to200 or more a night, that equates to3000 -6000 a month. Most people are not staying at one of those for that long and for that much. Someone wanting to rent a place "to live" for 2-3 months is probably looking more for something around800 -1000,1200 a month. That is when you get more into the landlord renting a house situation. Bottom line: hassle is not worth it to landlord.

by goodfish Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM

You usually get a big break for staying monthly - it's much less than if you'd, say, add up the normal weekly rates. In some ways , it's less of a hassle for owners to not have to mess with daily/weekly rentals if they can fill their property in one shot for a month or two: guaranteed$, you know? They also don't have to hassle with cleaning it as often.

I just know this 'cause we've discussed renting for a couple of months of winter when we retire someday so had been doing some looking about for fun. :)

Here's an example: http://www.vrbo.com/259669. And the 12% tax is clearly noted.

by goodfish Online Now Feb 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Just to clarify, Natasha- I was throwing out the holiday rental unit option as an alternative to a regular apartment/condo that you would furnish with your own belongings. I took the "moving for 2-3 months" to mean a very temporary situation where you may not be moving many of your belongings as that's not common for short amounts of time. People I know who, say, work on location for months at a time usually lease or are placed in furnished accommodations during their assignment.

So just to be clear: are you planning on moving ALL of your things, putting them in temporary storage, or just closing up your current house/condo/apartment for these few months?

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Maybe look on craigslist for a sub-rental is possible, or large house that needs room mates. It is a bit tricky, but it can be your solution.

cheers tommy x

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I believe this post was in 2012....for April of 2012. Latest answer was posted one year late......yes?

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

That is funny and something that G has to fix as I see some forums of interest and just start typing away in my mind of my knowledge and opinion. Some how I never saw the date, so I am a year short and a dollar late? LOL thanks for the notice

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines