change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Lexiworks's Profile Photo

Staying in Bjorkliden

by Lexiworks Online Now Dec 17, 2014 at 1:23 AM

What is the best way to get to Bjorkliden from Kiruna on a Friday evening? Are there many taxi companies or is it just one that has a monopoly on the market?

more
    • Lexiworks's Profile Photo

Staying in Bjorkliden

by Lexiworks Online Now Dec 17, 2014 at 1:23 AM

What is the best way to get to Bjorkliden from Kiruna on a Friday evening? Are there many taxi companies or is it just one that has a monopoly on the market?

1 Answer Dec 17, 2014 at 5:57 AM
    • Is the bus service open on 25th Dec (Christmas) from Kiruna to Haparanda?

by xjohnwu Online Now Oct 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

We are planning a trip which requires to take a train from Abisko to Kiruna on the 24th Dec, Christmas Eve, and take a bus from Kiruna to Kaparanda to cross the border and finally reach Rovaniemi. Are the public transport open on 24th and 25th Dec? We have booked most of our hotels so the dates are pretty much fixed.

Thanks you very much in advance for your help.

3 Answers Oct 23, 2014 at 2:38 AM
    • penny_g's Profile Photo

Kiruna vs. Abisko for Northern Lights

by penny_g Online Now Oct 15, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Hi there! Planning travelling to Kiruna in January to see the NL, I will have 3 or 4 days at disposal, so there might be the chance to take the train to Abisko. I'm aware that NL are never guaranteed to be seen (I myself couldn't see them in Lulea 2013 and Tromso last January).

However, do you know if Abisko has the better chances compared to Kiruna? As far as I know the chances should be equal if weather conditions are there except of light polution in Kiruna maybe.. One explanation why we couldn't see it in Tromso was that it is too close to the sea and temperatures are not as low as inland areas. Nevertheless, that shouldn't be the case for Kiruna and Abisko... right?
      Another question - should I avoid full moon periods (falls on 16 January)?

17 Answers Oct 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    • funciassa's Profile Photo

from Kiruna to Abisko

by funciassa Online Now Aug 1, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Hello, after many changes of plan, I decided that I arrive in Kiruna mid-October and would like to take a rental car to go to Abisko, which is my goal, hoping to see the northern lights .. can anyone tell me that I find climate and what kind of roads are there? Thank you.

4 Answers Aug 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    • transport to Björkliden

by jansen1 Online Now Jun 20, 2014 at 6:50 AM

when we arrive at Kiruna airport in the afternoon, the last bus and train will have left for Björkliden. Are there other possibilites for travel than the very expensive taxi (1995 SSK)?

• funciassa's Profile Photo

from airport in Kiruna

by funciassa Online Now Jun 2, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Hi, I do not know where to look,
      My friend and I would like to come to Kiruna 21 to 24 October 2014 landed at Kiruna airport and we should get to the city, or better still, the area of PUOLTSA.
      we do not want to take a rental car, how can we get up to the and then go back?
      is there any taxi that you can already book via the internet? thank you very much, Martina

1 Answer Jun 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    • bus in feb

by budian Online Now Dec 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

hi...is there any bus that goes from kiruna airport to abisko in feb 9th and back on 11th feb?thank you. :)

6 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    • littlebush's Profile Photo

Northern Lights, possible to just drive and see them?

by littlebush Online Now Dec 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Hi, my wife and i will visit the Kiruna region in March 2014 and will hire a car to get around

Therefore rather than spend money on a northern lights tour, is it possible to just drive and find a place to view the lights (obviously away from city lights)?

Can anyone recommend a good location for this?
      Thanks

dave

9 Answers Apr 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    • Things to do in Kiruna

by bordercollie Online Now Nov 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hi
      I want to visit Northern Sweden to see the Northern Lights in late Feb/early Mar 2014. I had intended spending 10 days to try to ensure that I had a good chance of seeing at least one good display. Is spending 10 days to much?
      I need to find something to do during the days. I have been looking at the prices of tours in Kiruna and they appear to be very expensive. I maybe able to take one tour. Are there other activities that can be done alone and safely e.g. hiking, shoe-shoeing? Is it possible to jump on some form of public transport and go somewhere just for the ride and scenery?
      Are there tour companies that I should steer clear of?
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.

Thanks

2 Answers Nov 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    • MFAMILY's Profile Photo

Chasing the northern lights on our own

by MFAMILY Online Now Oct 2, 2013 at 1:22 AM

My family and I will be in Kiruna, hotel Scandic, from Dec 30th until Jan 3rd. We have already planned a night out on dogsled on the 30th and New Year's Eve dinner in Camp Ripan. Fot the remainder 2 nights we plan on going further to Abisko and/or around Kiruna and try to chase the lights on our own. I have some questions, though.
      1. is the road to Abisko safe for inexperienced snow driving people?Are there gritters clearing the road frequently? Driving is what scares me the most. Had a scary experience once nearTromso, so I figure roads may be similar here (narrow...)
      2. are there any favorite dark enough spots to park a car safely and put the tripod and camera? Can anyone point out a few? We considered taking a guided northern lights tour to shoot some pictures, but I find them a bit overpriced for something that we probably will be able to do on our own, with good guidance from people here at VT.
      3. Can we ride the chairlift at Abisko without joining a visit to the Sky Station, which is already fully booked for our dates? Do we have to buy chairlift tickets in advance or just show up and buy them on the spot?
      4. We shall expect dark the whole 24 hours of a day, on the given dates, correct?
      Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Maria

10 Answers Dec 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    • apartment rental

by Hongqiang Online Now Sep 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I would like to rent apartment which can allow 5 adults(include 1 female and 4 male) to stay for at least 20 days since Oct. 1st, 2013, so 3 sleeprooms with 5 beds are required, where can I find one as described above. Thank you.

• 3 days Trip to Kiruna in October

by chaitu.chadalawada Online Now Sep 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Hi,

We have planned to come to kiruna in October. Can you please suggest us what trips we can take in month october in kiruna ? If possible, kindly provide us the links of what we can take ?

2 Answers Sep 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    • Kiruna railway station to kiruna airport

by Sanjaydhir Online Now Jul 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I am arriving from narvik tomorrow at kiruna rly stn by 1330 h
      Any buses to kiruna airport
      My flight to stockholm is at 1600 hrs

1 Answer Jul 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    • orke's Profile Photo

8 days at Kiruna area

by orke Online Now Dec 16, 2012 at 6:04 AM

hi
      me and my husband will be at kiruna march 21-30
      first 3 days we will be driving to Luleå and taking ice breaker tour
      then for the remaining 5 days we can drive and do whatever we wish
      we want to do snowmobile safari, dog sledding , ice climbing and such and were thinking about staying around abisko park or at Björkliden (and combine a day of ski guide as well)
      the lodge at abisko is not available for these dates - any other recommendations for nice hotel (must have private bathroom) ?

also since we will have our own car we can spend those days wherever (reasonable distance) that can offer those services and we can watch northern lights from (hopefully) - so will it be worth driving to Narvik for example? or to any other place in Norway?

thanks

• A Cosy Hotel in Kiruna, Sweden?

by Acosyhotel Online Now Apr 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I am looking for a cosy hotel in Kiruna. Any ideas?

1 Answer May 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    • seeking roommate in ice hotel, Jan 26, ice room

by alien_traveler Online Now Dec 12, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I plan to stay in Ice room, on Jan 26th. But now, there is only 2 bed room available.

I wanna find a people to share the room with me.

mail: qiaoming@yeah.net

me:
      male
      no snore

1 Answer Dec 13, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    • amiya's Profile Photo

Travelling around kiruna

by amiya Online Now Dec 5, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Hello.
      Me and a friend will be in kiruna for a day and will be staying at the ice hotel. It seems that tour packages offered are quite expensive.

We were thinking of going to Sámi Siida - Reindeer park and Sámi camp or the Unground mine museum. How do we travel from the hotel to these places and how far is it? We also would like to ride on snowmobile too.

Is there any way we can go to these places using snowmobile?

Thanks.

1 Answer Dec 5, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    • My Visit to Kiruna in OCT 2011- Tips Please

by mdhada Online Now Aug 26, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Hi there

I would like to come to Kiruna in october 16th and I will be staying for 4 days..Will it be snowing at that time? any good things i can explore and see.

Im adventure and nature lover. I want see the the nature and beautiful landscapes.

Thanks
      Mohsin Iqbal

1 Answer Aug 27, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    • kiruna-pello

by nivaman66 Online Now Aug 8, 2011 at 5:16 AM

hello. i will go from kiryna to pello. i wander if there are any busconnection there?? and if it is,how long will it takes.im norwegians,so if you want to,you can send the mail in swedish. thank you. heia norge!!!!

2 Answers Aug 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    • JohannaKaarina's Profile Photo

Shopping in Kiruna

by JohannaKaarina Online Now May 16, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Hi,

Please excuse me for a weird question, but is there any big(gish) department stores or such in Kiruna, where they would sell Design House Stockholm tableware?

Many thanks in advance for any answer!

Johanna

4 Answers May 25, 2011 at 4:08 AM
    • I'm planning to visit Kiruna!

by missgarlic Online Now Dec 24, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I'll be arriving on Stockholm after 18th Jan.
      and planning to stay there till 13th of Feb!
      during my time in sweden, I'm planning to visit Kiruna!
      for much about 3days or so..

I'll be thrilled to see the northern lights too, if the weather works fine enough.

one problem is that, I've never been to any places that's colder than
      -6 degrees. (Celsius)
      so I'm guessing my trip to Europe will be extremely harsh.
      especially in Kiruna!

Can any of you guys leave a short comments about the clothing?
      Merry Christmas!

6 Answers Jan 4, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    • Kiruna to Abisko then to Ice Hotel then to Ivalo

by youke Online Now Oct 25, 2010 at 4:36 AM

My family of 5 is planning to visit Abisko - Kiruna ICE Hotel followed by Ivalo Kakslauttanen in December.

I wonder whether any one is familiar with those places and can recommend an agent that can provide us:
      1. guided tour at Abisko and Kiruna,
      2. Coach Transfer from Kiruna to Abisko then to ICE HOTEL and then to Ivalo Kakslautanen

We are considering our accommodations at Abisko Mountain Lodge, ICE Hotel and Kakslautanen. Any one has any adverse experiences? We were advised to book accommodations first since these are special accommodations which availability is running out fast for a big group of 5 like us.

We will arrive in Kiruna airport from London in December.

Love to hear from any one in the forum.

Thank you.

• Is there any pub or disco in Kiruna?

by MaestroDiego Online Now Oct 6, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Hi. I'm Diego, 27 years old and I'm currently staying at the Aurora Hotel, in Esrange. I would like to know if there is any pub or disco in Kiruna. I'll spend the weekend over there and I'd hate to spend it in the room of the hotel :|
      I'll be at the City Hotel, so I'll be expecting for your tips or invitations :)

Thanks anyway

1 Answer Oct 11, 2010 at 2:04 AM
    • emmaloud's Profile Photo

kiruna in november

by emmaloud Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Hi,

I am looking to visit Kiruna in late november this year and I'm trying to find out general information such as weather and temperatures, if I need any "special clothing"? How probable am I to see the northern lights? Any other info would be extremley helpful.

Thanks

5 Answers Aug 7, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    • Visit Kiruna in October

by chinlk Online Now Jul 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Dear All,

Is October the appropriate time to visit Kiruna in order to observe the aurora? Coz we will be in Europe in Early Oct and planning whether we should visit Sweden. Thank you for your reply~~~

2 Answers Jul 29, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    • Kiruna vs Narvik?

by betzy1232 Online Now Apr 21, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Hi,

We are a group of 10 people planning to hike the Kungsleden from Absiko to Kebnekaise beginning of August. We are looking for a place to stay over the weekend before we begin our hike. We dont need a town with activities but would like a place thats really nice. Any advise as to whether we should stay in KIruna or Narvik? We were once in Kiruna - nice and small town, but definitely not super pretty... Is Narvik any better?

Thanks!!

3 Answers Apr 21, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    • PtiteMand's Profile Photo

Planning a 4 days trip to Kiruna in February

by PtiteMand Online Now Jan 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Hello all !

I'm planning a 4 days trip in the end of February. We are studying in Stockholm and we would like to go to Lappland. Kiruna seems to be the easiest place to reach. We are thinking about using the night train which seems to be cheapest.

We would like to do some typical activities such as dogsledding and we would like to have chances to see aurorea boreals...
      Do you have any tips about this sort of activities ?

Do you think going to Abisko National Park for a day worths ? Is it possible to think about some walks around to discover a bit more the national park is it too cold ?

We wish we could have a budget around 250/300€ (2500 / 3000 kr SWE) for this trip, train or airplane included...

Thanks a lot by advance for your tips !

tack tack

3 Answers Jan 31, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    • Bus from Nikkaluokta to Kiruna

by nendwich Online Now Jan 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM

We will be in Nikkaluokta on February 5th 2010.
      Can anyone tell me whether and at what time buses gu to Kiuna.
      Thank´s!

• Renting a car in March...Good idea?

by ColleenP Online Now Jan 11, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Hello everyone!

I will be in Kiruna for 5 days in March.
      Would like to to drive to Abisko and some other areas of interest.
      How are the roads generally in mid March?
      I am also thinking about the full day reindeer sledding. We are all in our 50's, is it a rough ride, or quite nice?
      Thanks for any and all info.
      Colleen

• robbye77's Profile Photo

STF Vandrarhem Hostel e-mail

by robbye77 Online Now Jan 14, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Hi everybody! I need to send an email to the hostel, but I can't find anything on the web. And the website is just in swedish. Anybody can help me?
      Thank you very much!
      Roberto

6 Answers Jan 15, 2009 at 3:06 AM