Kiruna Travel Answers

change location

I'm planning to visit Kiruna!

by missgarlic Online Now Dec 24, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I'll be arriving on Stockholm after 18th Jan.
and planning to stay there till 13th of Feb!
during my time in sweden, I'm planning to visit Kiruna!
for much about 3days or so..

I'll be thrilled to see the northern lights too, if the weather works fine enough.

one problem is that, I've never been to any places that's colder than
-6 degrees. (Celsius)
so I'm guessing my trip to Europe will be extremely harsh.
especially in Kiruna!

Can any of you guys leave a short comments about the clothing?
Merry Christmas!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • adventureDreaming's Profile Photo

Re: I'm planning to visit Kiruna!

by adventureDreaming Online Now Dec 25, 2010 at 1:49 AM

I was there at the same time a few years ago. I'm Australian and didn't really need anything that I didn't already have. The key is to dress in layers - they don't have to be thick. This has 2 purposes - air is trapped between each layer and helps insulate against the cold. And it's easy to take off or add new layers if you get too hot or cold. You might want to invest in some decent gloves and hat in Stockholm before heading up to kiruna. A neck warmer is also good at keeping everything nice nd warm.

Have a great time. It's beautiful. Btw - good luck with the northern lights. I kind of saw the but it was a full moon so not the best conditions. But then I've seen them in northern USA in the middle of summer so who knows....

Alison

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Dec 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM

If you been to -6 that is an example to good winter weather which is suitable very well for winter sport and outside activities. But of course it can easy drop to -25 or more and then you need to limit your outside activities for the minimum unless you have special winter gear for such extreme conditions.
    In any case, it is important to have good shoes, hat, gloves and scarf additional to good winter cloths. You do not need any special cloths unless you plan some winter hiking, using snow mobile or husky safari, then it is better to have some special outdoor gear to keep you warm, but could be that such will be provided by the company who arrange such activities, check it out with them. Northern lights is matter of luck and as you do stay for long period enough watch out for the very cold nights of high air pressure so sky's should be clear and then you have better chance to catch some.

• Manara's Profile Photo

by Manara Online Now Dec 25, 2010 at 2:22 AM

My recommendation is to pay attention to keeping your feet warm, because if you get cold feet you will feel uncomfortable all over.
    I suggest to buy socks in a skiers' shop when you are in Stockholm. Skiers spend many consecutive hours outdoors in the snow, se there is special underwear for them in such shops. A good alternative is a pair of silk socks (natural silk) and a pair of wool socks. Thick cotton is no use at all.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Dec 25, 2010 at 2:57 AM

Yes, but good socks wouldn't help with the wrong shoes ;-) However, I most of the time I just use standard socks with the right shoes or maximum if I plan a day in the forest it will be standard woolen socks. The shoes are the most important.
    By the way, I have met people who can get "cold feet" even in the tropics ;-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Having spent a couple of winters in Canada (Quebec and Ontario) where the temperature gets down to -30 Celsius I'll second all the above (especially about keeping your feet warm). The only thing I can add is that I always get my thermal underwear, wooly socks etc from a local farmer's store rather than a skiwear shop. OK you don't get the trendy labels but everything does the same job and costs about a third of the price.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Jan 4, 2011 at 5:00 AM

I'm afraid Stockholm doesn't have many farmers shops John... :)

Yes, most organisers of daytrips etc. up there will have overalls for snowmobiling and stuff for their guests to use.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines