Kiruna Travel Answers

change location
lorisgirl's Profile Photo

Kiruna and around in May

by lorisgirl Online Now Apr 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Hello!

From all I've read about Kiruna on the web and on the forum, I chose one of the worst times to go to Kiruna: no Auroras and no midnight sun (I'm a sucker for natural phenomenae!)...

Besides the mine and Abisko, what other things would you guys recommend for this time of the year? I'll be there from 15 to 23 of may and I've never seen snow or big amounts of ice (anything bigger than my ice tray is gonna be sooo good!!).

I love hiking and generally walking around and meeting people.

Also, does anybody know this hostel? http://www.yellowhouse.nu/
Is it any good?

Thanks and if you need advice on Brazil, I'm all yours. Cheers!

Laura

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Kiruna and around in May

by Sjalen Online Now Apr 9, 2007 at 1:31 PM

No, you're right in that there will be no auroras or midnight sun...BUT May should still see a surprising amount of evening sun for someone from Brazil. Just this week, Kiruna has overtaken Malmö in the sun table that we have here in Sweden, showing us when the sun rises and sets in different parts of our very oblong country. Today, it sets at 20.00 here in Malmö and already at 20.04 in Kiruna (a place which sees no sun at ALL in December so you can imagine how fast it goes when we are only in mid-April and they've already overtaken the south of the country which is like anywhere in northern Europe).

As for places to go to...if you head up higher peaks, you will still see snow. At Abisko perhaps Mount Nuolja still has snow at the top, and you should definately be able to find it at Riksgränsen (the skiing centre just on the border with Norway which also has a train stop). There people ski at midsummer whilst watching the midnight sun so it should be a good bet.

Another thing I would do is catch a train to Narvik in Norway just because the route (past Abisko) is one of the most scenic railway journeys in Europe and especially once you've past Abisko (which is definately worth a stop).

In Kiruna itself, don't miss the lovely church. I don't know anything about the yellow hostel but have been considering it myself as the ordinary STF hostel up there is incredibly boring. The ice hotel is of course melting in May but the village of Jukkasjärvi where it is (just outside Kiruna) is still very nice with its heritage centre and the ice hotel people have an indoor ice gallery.

Check out my Kiruna-Abisko pages if you need further info. You can also have a look at nearby Gällivare but I've only visited these places in the gorgeous mid winter. I don't know how much you want to splash out but there are of course also various Sami camps to visit with reindeer and so on.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lorisgirl's Profile Photo

by lorisgirl Online Now Apr 11, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Thanks so much for the insights. I'll certainly go to Riksgränsen and Narvik.
    Sami villages are definitely on my to-do list. I'm glad I'll be able to just sit back, relax and do some hiking, enjoying the prolonged days. Sweden seems like an amazing country!

And, after all, I can always go back in december for christmas in kiruna, with auroras and all! :)

Thanks!
    Laura

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Apr 12, 2007 at 12:48 AM

If you end up liking spring there, you will love mid winter - have a look at my Jukkasjärvi page to see the amazing light when the sun never crawls above the horizon but is still present.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines