Kirkenes

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Bus travel from Kirkenes to Bodo?

by KevinRND Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I'm trying to find out if there is any bus service from Kirkenes to Bodo? I arrive in Kirkenes by cruise ship the first week of September 2014, and would like to take a bus to Bodo, then grab a train to Bergen. (I've got three days to make the trip from Kirkenes to Bergen - I'm not even sure if this is possible?). I appreciate any help - thanks.

more
    • Bus travel from Kirkenes to Bodo?

by KevinRND Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I'm trying to find out if there is any bus service from Kirkenes to Bodo? I arrive in Kirkenes by cruise ship the first week of September 2014, and would like to take a bus to Bodo, then grab a train to Bergen. (I've got three days to make the trip from Kirkenes to Bergen - I'm not even sure if this is possible?). I appreciate any help - thanks.

4 Answers Mar 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    • How long should I stay in Kirkenes?

by JennDubb Online Now Nov 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I’m traveling up North with Hurtigruten to Kirkenes at the end of December. In Kirkenes I will spend 1 night at the snow hotel, do a half day dog sledding trip, and do the tour offered by Hurtigruten.

I have the option to spend up to two nights in Kirkenes, but was unsure if there is actually enough to do aside from winter activities. I don’t plan on doing any other ones like snow mobiling or King crab fishing, etc. Is there enough to see and do culturally that I should stay two nights, or is one full day enough in Kirkenes?

Thanks in advance for your help!

7 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    • driving late November from Kirkeness to Rovaniemi

by chris9401 Online Now Jul 15, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to find information on catching public buses from Kirkeness to Rovaniemi. We will arrive on the Hurtigruten boat. So two choices
      Catch buses
      or drive. How difficult is it to hire a car in Kirkeness and drive down to Rovaniemi with a stopover in between. I dont know what the landscape is or what the road conditions would be like. We are from australia & use to driving large distances but not in snowy conditions

9 Answers Feb 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    • Ewilly's Profile Photo

how far is the russian border ?

by Ewilly Online Now Jul 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

can I go there by taxi ?
      is it worth to see ?

5 Answers Aug 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    • Ewilly's Profile Photo

coming on cruise to Kirkenes

by Ewilly Online Now Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Do I Need to book a tour ?
      what can I do there myself ?
      Is the City far away from cruiseport ?

3 Answers Jul 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    • Can I hire a small plane and pilot in Kirkenes?

by aheilner Online Now Jul 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I'll be in Kirkenes for a couple days around August 8-11, and would like to hire a small plane (and pilot) for an hour or two to do some aerial photography in the area. Does anyone know how to locate a local professional pilot? The internet is proving surprisingly empty of information...  A helicopter would also be possible, though I imagine that's even less likely to find.  Thanks!

2 Answers Jul 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    • Kirkenes tasi or something else for rriving Vadso

by KrisDR Online Now May 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Due to a strike in Vadso airport.
      I must go to Kirkenes on the 17th May arrival at 22.43 PM.
      What will be the cost of a taxi to Vadso ?
      Or is there an other solution possible for the same evening ?
      Thanks, Kris

• Transportation from Kirkenes to Helsinki Finland

by Pamc816 Online Now May 14, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Is there a bus or train that would take you from Kirkenes (after departing the ship) to Helsinki?

1 Answer May 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    • Kirkenes- Murmansk visa-free?

by dida1984 Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether there are some special agreements which authorize you to cross the border from Norway to Russia (to go from Kirkenes to Murmansk) without a visa if it is for a limited amount of time (less than 72 hours)? Or is it possible to get the visa on the border for a one day trip? I have read contradictory information on that issue. My friend and I are planing our summer travel plans and any help would be greatly appreciated! (-:

2 Answers Feb 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    • DavidO58's Profile Photo

Northern Lights - after some research

by DavidO58 Online Now Jan 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Is there anywhere in or close to Kirkenes where, if the weather/ auroral conditions are right, it is dark an free from light pollution. I know that Kirkenes Town and the Airport are not best positioned as it helps to get north of any major light source. I will also have access to a car when I an staying in Kirkenes in February 2013.

• Kirkenes - Ivalo June 2013

by lavezzi Online Now Nov 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Is there a regular bus service Kirkenes - Ivalo likely to be running late June (26th) 2013?
      Is there a link to get details?
      Is there a car hire company that does oneway carhire without enormous one way fees?

1 Answer Nov 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    • Kirkenes to ivalo

by Teddo Online Now Nov 12, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Hi, i need to go to ivalo from kirkenes at the end of december?.

1. Do you think the whole trip will be in the dark?
      2. Is there public transport for this?
      3. Can we rent a car for the trip?
      4. How do we get transport for this?

Pls help.

Thankyou.

Rgrds

4 Answers Nov 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    • Snowmobiles in Kirkenes

by SiPerry Online Now Oct 11, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Hi everyone - we arrive in Kirkenes on the morning of the 3rd November '12. We were too late in trying to book a snowmobile trip on the Hurtigruten cruise and wondered if we could take a trip in Kirkenes on that day - is there anyone able to provide this , as I think it may be too early in the season ?

Many thanks,

1 Answer Oct 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    • Time to catch the plane?

by travelbug12 Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I am thinking of booking a Hurtigruten cruise, ending in Kirkenes. I am troubled though that the boat is scheduled to dock at 9.45am, yet Hurtigruten propose booking a Kirkenes to Oslo flight departing at 11.30am. This seems like very tight timing. How long does it take in reality to disembark and get to the airport? Does anyone here have experience of whether catching that flight is feasible? Thanks!

3 Answers Sep 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    • Oslo to Kirkenes and Back

by vikingspirit Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Hello! Is there a route from Oslo to Kirkenes by bus and/or train? How would I find this information? We want to go through beautiful Norway rather than taking the Hurtigruten. We aren't going until 2013 November. I appreciate your help! Tusen takk!

3 Answers Aug 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM
    • What to do in kirkenes

by smgunn Online Now Aug 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Hello
      We shall be arriving in Kirkenes in Nov 2012 on the Hurtigruten Ferry. Can anybody help with suggestions of what to see / do and how best to get about. Is transport easy or should we do the organised excursions?
      Many thanks for any tips
      Regards
      Sheron

2 Answers Aug 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    • How to get from KKN to Vadso?

by brcrider Online Now Feb 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hello, I will be flying into KKN on April 30 from Oslo and then need to make my way to Vadso. Is there regular ferry service from Kirkenes to Vadso? Or is another form of transportation recommended?

4 Answers Feb 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    • Transport in Kirkenes/Walking

by Sanita123 Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Hi everybody. I will be travelling to Kirkenes on my own in February and will be there for one night only. I would like to know what would be the best places to visit and the best place to have lunch and supper. I will already do dog sledding and reindeer sledding in Tromso, so I don't want to do that again. I would like to visit the Snow Hotel for sure but will not sleep there. How far is it to walk from the Thon Hotel to the Snow Hotel, how safe is this walk and how safe is Kirkenes generally for a woman on her own to walk around after dark? I know there are paid trips to the Snow Hotel but I think its crazy to pay NOK400 if I can get in on my own for NOK100. I also think the price of lunch or dinner is exaggerated when one includes it in the organized tour trip.

• josepbosch's Profile Photo

Up North

by josepbosch Online Now Sep 18, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Hello virtual tourists: I would like to travel from Kirkenes to Murmansk in Russia in deep winter. Provided I have the right visa, could anybody advice me on the best way to do it by land?. And what is the best border crossing to use and the best route?. Are there any restrictions?. Are the roads clear of snow/ice?. Thank you

3 Answers Sep 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    • Inari to Kirkenes

by moroak14 Online Now Apr 21, 2011 at 6:32 AM

we are travelling north through Finland to catch a boat in Kirkenes on 11 July. Currently we have planned our trip to Inari but the only way we have of getting to Kirkenes is by mini-bus which costs about 240Euros. is there any cheaper way to do it?

1 Answer Apr 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    • Mickfortune's Profile Photo

Russia and the Aurora

by Mickfortune Online Now Nov 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Is it possible to visit Russia without a visa?

Is it necessary to get out of the town if the aurora is active in order to see it well?

How can I get out of the town - taxi? bus? snowmobile?

Thanks

4 Answers Nov 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    • Kirkenes travel options

by Swede123 Online Now Jul 6, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Where can I find travel options once I depart the boat in Kirkenes. I wish to travel by train south, perhaps to Trondheim and then east into Sweden. What are the best and economical routes and options ( train, plane, bus)that service this area?

3 Answers Jul 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    • Taxi airport-city Kirkenes

by MisiaM Online Now Nov 20, 2009 at 5:30 AM

God dag :-)
      I plan to fly to Kirkenes soon, what is the cost of taxi from the airport to the center? And could you give me some advice - where can I spend 1 night in good conditions but not so expensive???

I'be thankfull for help.

MisiaM from Polen

2 Answers Nov 20, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    • Driving from Kirkenes to Murmansk

by mbennet48 Online Now May 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I would appreciate some advice about driving from Kirkenes to Murmansk this August, please? Are the signs in English? How do I get a map of Murmansk for driving? Any problems getting fuel? What roads do I take? I understand that the military road is sometimes closed. From where would I rent a car in Kirkenes?

2 Answers May 7, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    • I do not want to miss the boat

by nhegna Online Now Oct 3, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Jeg reiser: We are flying into KKN ( arrival scheduled for 11:00 ) and need to get to Hurtigruten Terminal to board ( boat leaves at 12:30 ) neste tirsdag

We do not want to 'buy' a taxi ...
      can we take a bus to city center or to a Hotel and then take a taxi or bus to the terminal? Nar gar den forste bussen til hurtigruten ?
      please help - grandpa is 91 and is unable to walk more than 2KM !

2 Answers Oct 23, 2008 at 2:10 PM
    • deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Kirkenes/Murmansk/Finland in April

by deeper_blue Online Now Jul 28, 2008 at 1:01 AM

For travel in April from Russia to Norway and down through Finland, whats the best way to do it? I heard about the bus from Murmansk to Kirkenes costs about 20 euros one way I think, but then onwards to Finland (Ivalo?) is this possible in April. Also what's the climate like here and the costs? (note it should be done completely overland)

2 Answers Aug 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM
    • Russian border

by svensundstrom Online Now Jan 26, 2008 at 11:11 PM

When you drive down from Kirkenes to the point where Russia, Finland and Norway meet, perhaps 150 kilometers, how close do you get to this point. How far do you still have to walk, in km or hours? We plan a visit in September.

1 Answer Jan 27, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    • Russian border

by svensundstrom Online Now Jan 24, 2008 at 10:38 AM

We would like in September to drive down from Kirkenes to the point where Norway, Finland and Russia meet. How close do we get? How many kilometers do you still have to walk? We know that we do not get into Russia.

1 Answer Jan 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM
    • Transport Rovaniemi-Kirkenes

by Besik Online Now Oct 20, 2007 at 3:54 AM

Hi guys!!
      I've looked everywhere, but I cannot find how to get from Rovaniemi to Kirkenes.. Is there any train connection or a bus? I'm just desperate!! :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

4 Answers Mar 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    • TomFoolery's Profile Photo

Accommodation in November

by TomFoolery Online Now Sep 26, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Struggling to find any budget accommodation options in November (budget is lets say pretty limited). Just emailed the campsite in hope of a lodge but seems there fully booked...anyone know if there are any options other than the main hotels? (seen the Kirkenes Hotel, and 2 Rica Hotels so far)

1 Answer Sep 27, 2007 at 4:42 AM