Kirkenes Travel Answers

change location

Kirkenes- Murmansk visa-free?

by dida1984 Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether there are some special agreements which authorize you to cross the border from Norway to Russia (to go from Kirkenes to Murmansk) without a visa if it is for a limited amount of time (less than 72 hours)? Or is it possible to get the visa on the border for a one day trip? I have read contradictory information on that issue. My friend and I are planing our summer travel plans and any help would be greatly appreciated! (-:

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

Re: Kirkenes- Murmansk visa-free?

by akkipaa Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Dida, you don't specify where are you from, it might have influences. What do you mean about border? Land or Port?

Murmansk is on Russia's 72h non-visa list (from 2010) when you come with ferry. BUT I don't know if some provider have started ferry service, for short googling I didn't find.

Last year they started non-visa system (on land border), but only for those living (was it) 30km from the border.

Non-ferry, non-border-living and you need visa. Visa arrangements with Russia are time consuming, you have to give your passport to embassy and it take long (in Fin about 8 days), no possibility to get it from border. Do it at home, not in Kirkenäs.

Consulate in Kirkenes
    russianembassy.net/iservice....
    These give HELP if I understood correctly I DON't understand their on-line system.
    http://www.visatorussia.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Kirkenes- Murmansk visa-free?

by Patlh Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I would check with the Russian Embassy in your country. It might be possible, if you have a Russian Guide. They can get a visa that covers you as long as you are with them for less than 3 days. Otherwise, you will probably need a visa. You need to do it before you leave. It may take a few weeks to a month, depending on where you are. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines