Kirkenes Travel Answers

change location

Oslo to Kirkenes and Back

by vikingspirit Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Hello! Is there a route from Oslo to Kirkenes by bus and/or train? How would I find this information? We want to go through beautiful Norway rather than taking the Hurtigruten. We aren't going until 2013 November. I appreciate your help! Tusen takk!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Re: Oslo to Kirkenes and Back

by travelfrosch Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

There are no trains to Kirkenes. The northernmost train station in Norway is Narvik, which actually connects to Stockholm and not Oslo.

I suppose you could take the overnight train to Trondheim, then another overnight train to Fauske or Bodø. From there, you could patch together bus connections north and east to Kirkenes. You might also want to consider renting a car and driving. Also remember that Norway is very narrow east-west in the far north, so it might be more practical to get to Kirkenes from Sweden or Finland.

Here's a link to the Kirkenes Tourist Office, describing the various ways to get to Kirkenes.

kirkenesinfo.no/hXGXzmwtDW2U...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Crazywoman's Profile Photo

by Crazywoman Online Now Aug 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

The northernmost trainstation that you can reach by traveling in Norway is Bodoe. You can find information and time tables here: www.nsb.no.

For buses there are express buses covering most of the country that you can find here: www.nor-way.no

I think you will have to mix and match with trains and buses to get this together, but I am sure you will have a nice trip!

Keep in mind that November is a very dark month in Norway, you won´t have many hours of daylight (even fewer the more north you come), so if you want to see the landscapes this might not be the best time to travel. There is also a possiblity that there is snow especially on high hights and up north already in November.

1 member found this helpful

• Crazywoman's Profile Photo

by Crazywoman Online Now Aug 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

If you fly in one direction you have www.wideroe.no and www.norwegian.no that operates cheap domestic flights in Norway.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines