Kirkenes Travel Answers

change location

Kirkenes travel options

by Swede123 Online Now Jul 6, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Where can I find travel options once I depart the boat in Kirkenes. I wish to travel by train south, perhaps to Trondheim and then east into Sweden. What are the best and economical routes and options ( train, plane, bus)that service this area?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Kirkenes travel options

by globetrott Online Now Jul 6, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I am quite sure that the next train is quite far away from Kirkenes.
    Except that you choose your way back over Murmansk/Russia and start by bus from Kirkenes to Murmansk!
    As far as I remember the only trainline they have there is for the mining-industry to take their goods to the port.
    plane is a good option !

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hexelein's Profile Photo

by hexelein Online Now Jul 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Get a flight, it's the easiest option (it will probably be cheaper to go directly to Oslo rather than Trondheim). There are no trains north of Bodø, but if you do fancy going by train, you could take the bus / plane to Bodø and then the train from there to Trondheim, but that's a lot of travelling that could be done quicker.

For flights, see www.wideroe.no or www.sas.no

More on travel in/to/from Kirkenes: visitnorway.com/en/Stories/G...

• Terje1966's Profile Photo

by Terje1966 Online Now Jul 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Hi. Travelling in Finnmark, Troms and Nordland by bus in the summertime is a nice experience if you like to sit for hours and look out the window at wonderful nature.Remember that it is never dark and you will see Norway in a completely different way than from Hurtigruta. The busses and the roads are also of good standard.

An option to bus all the way to Fauske(to the east of Bodø) may be to connect to the swedish railway system in Narvik. From there you can take Ofotbanen to Kiruna in Sweeden and then head on south to Stockholm.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines