Kirkenes Travel Answers

change location
Tojkior's Profile Photo

Hiking in Finnmark

by Tojkior Online Now Jun 11, 2003 at 3:13 PM

Hi, I'd like to go for a 7-10 day trekking in Finnmark. I'm going to walk about 15km a day. I'd like to fish a bit and spend some nice evenings by the campfire. I'm looking for a slightly hilly landscape with a lot of water (but with some dry places to). Is it possible to avoid mosquitoes in summer (when, where)? I heard that on a certain level over the sea the number of mosquitoes decreases. Is it true? Where? Can you give me some tips on where can I look, to find more information on hiking in Finnmark. Thanks for all help. Best regards, Kamil

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • dave_21's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking in Finnmark

by dave_21 Online Now Jun 11, 2003 at 3:29 PM

Many people walks from Alta, there are lots of trails from there. You can walk all the way to Kirkenes if you want. Here is an quite helpful link: visitnorthcape.com/pages/pag... If you want good Salmon fishing I recommed Altaelven in Alta. The whole area is filled with lakes too. To the mosquitoe question. Well In Finnmark there are lots of woods but also tundra in the north. It's true that mosquitoes decreases on a certain level over the sea, most of the mosquitoes likes Sprcuse forest or Birch forest and close to water. They can't survive on the mountain and this far north they have a very intense, short summer. Finnmark doesn't contain a lot of mountain, so be prepared for much mosquitoes in the lower forest terrain. But campfires can keep them away, but remember; it will not keep away the gnats! (My own experience!:-) David

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Loeffle's Profile Photo

Re: Hiking in Finnmark

by Loeffle Online Now Jun 13, 2003 at 1:17 AM

Hei Kamil! Basically I can't add much to the comments of this guy from Göteborg ... Just a couple of things ... When you want to walk around 15 km a day, Alta - Kirkenes is far too much. Also mosquitos will kill you on that trip in summer. Perhaps in early autumn after the first frost it would be lovely. I also hate mosquitos (have astma) and therefore I look to avoid them as well. I made good experiences on the remote island of Troms fylke, which offer you both - ocean, rivers, mountains and lakes -. Take a look at Senja, Kvalöya, Ringvassöya, and the region between Tromsö, Skjervöy ... Just don't go so deep inland, because then you have mosquitos again. I even was "eaten" by mosquitos in Kilpisjärv, which is well above sea-level. You can also walk along Finnmarks coast, but it's very remote ... You might also walk in both regions, they are connected by ferry and Nor-Way Bussekspress.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines