Kiribati Travel Answers

change location
JamesNotts's Profile Photo

Kiribati in Sept

by JamesNotts Online Now May 15, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Hi again,

having done Fiji before arriving in Kiribati, I'm going to be looking for a much less touristy, and more 'real' island experience. Planning to do Tarawa, Abiang and Marakei.

Can anyone recommend any good accommodation/homestays (esp on Abiang/Marakei), and activities to do (anywhere).

Also, I'm wanting to boat it between islands if possible. Does anyone know if I can get a boat to Abiang from the northern tip of Tarawa, or do I have to go from Betio area? Is it possible to boat between Abiang and Marakei etc?

Finally, I don't really want to drive unless absolutely necessary so it'd be great if I could hire a bike. Is there anywhere on the islands i can hire a bicycle?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
James

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Kiribati in Sept

by Kakapo2 Online Now May 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM

The printed Lonely Planet guide gives a lot of good information on Kiribati and answers most of your questions, just not the one about where you can hire a bike. They only mention that in the outer Gilbert Islands you might be able to hire one, but not where. It is mentioned that a bicycle on Abaiang costs about A$ 5 per day - but this info is from 2005.

I think you will not encounter real tourism in Kiribati, so there should be no need to worry too much about doing "less touristy" things. I think most things you will be doing will be less touristy from the start.

I think it will be exciting for you to travel to the outer islands, as there are only a few rest- and guesthouses. Best would be to contact the visitor information centre in Betio on Tarawa before setting sail.

Good that you are a man as I read that Kiribati is not a safe place for women travelling alone.

Do you have access to a printed Lonely Planet guide?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JamesNotts's Profile Photo

by JamesNotts Online Now May 20, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Hi, cheers for the info. Yeah Ibought the LP Micronesia book a while ago. Makes for good reading. And yeah I agree about the man thing haha. I'll be bringing my sister with me but she's pretty feisty so I'm sure she'll be fine ;-)

I'm thinking of bringing some decent desert boots for if can't hire a bike and/or have to do any serious amount of walking as I doubt some knackered old skate shoes would cut it

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now May 21, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I would also go for good hiking boots. Do not know how it is in Kiribati but on other islands I encountered coral tracks which were rather unpleasantly to walk on even in good jogging shoes - despite the locals walking on them in flip-flops LOL

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Kiribati Travel Answer Locations