Kiribati Travel Answers

change location
glenn57's Profile Photo

outer atolls of Kiribati

by glenn57 Online Now Dec 3, 2003 at 8:38 PM

Are there any really traditional atolls in Krirbati, ones without electricity ? If not, can anyone suggest what their favourite Kiribati atoll is (other than Tarawa) ?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: outer atolls of Kiribati

by lolodrake Online Now May 23, 2005 at 10:28 PM

Fanning island didn't have too much electricity. In fact the only place I remembered having electricity was the first aid booth, or whatever it was. I thought the island was really beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Rusket's Profile Photo

RE: outer atolls of Kiribati

by Rusket Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 3:28 PM

I have only tried two of the outher islands in the Gilbert's, Butaritari and Aibaiang. In Butaritari there was a communal diesel driven generator and some private ones, but no steady power supply. As to Abaiang, I cannot remember any light except moonlight :-). But there was a big screen TV in the community house where people watched recorded news on TV-CDs, so there must have been a generator. Biketawa on north Tarawa was totally without light, but had a solar cell to support the electrical water pump for the showers at the camp site. The only place in Kiribati, of the places I visited, totally without electricity, was a moto in the Butaritari atoll.

• ollyf's Profile Photo

RE: outer atolls of Kiribati

by ollyf Online Now Aug 1, 2006 at 5:57 AM

I stayed with a family in Butaritari, which was an absolutely amazing experience. Sorry to say, they have a couple of hours of generator electricity at night!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Kiribati Travel Answer Locations