Kinsale Travel Answers

change location

Child friendly restaurants

by lindadook Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 2:23 PM

My family and I are visiting Kinsale in May, can you advise us of any child friendly restaurants to have lunch at?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • WhispersWest's Profile Photo

Re: Child friendly restaurants

by WhispersWest Online Now Apr 7, 2008 at 9:00 AM

You could try Crackpots, so named for the pottery adorning its walls and tables not the mental state of the owners, as they have a children's menu up until, I believe, half past seven at night. It is well situated between Desmond Castle and the museum. I think lunch runs from noon until 3.

Slan Beo, Bit

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Re: Child friendly restaurants

by Ekaterinburg Online Now Apr 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM

To be honest, I think your best bet is to wait until you arrive to decide. The town centre is small and crammed with restaurants. Some of these are very upmarket which is reflected in the cost and fancy table settings. There are some restaurants in Kinsale that I could not imagine children in.

But the other side of the coin is that there are many restaurants with their menus on the pavement and their doors open and these would be more accustomed to family groups. If you love fish, then Fishy Fishy would be an ideal place to go. If it's a fine day you can sit outside and your children shouldn't bother anyone.

On my Kinsale page I have recommended a number of restaurants like Jim Edwards, Fishy Fishy and The Spaniard. Either of those should be fine for kids. If you bring the children to Charles Fort, there is a lovely cafe, reasonably priced with home made tarts, cakes and scones.

But the day you arrive when you walk around the town, it's very easy to note which restaurants seem welcoming to children. I'm hesitant to be any more specific as I haven't been in Kinsale for a few months now and places change hands so frequently.

Food aside, you will love Kinsale. If it's a fine day perhaps you could take the cruise to the mouth of the harbour and then you'd see Charles Fort and Scilly fom the water. The town, the harbour, the whole place in fact, is incredibly charming and picturesque. Enjoy !

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines