Kingston upon Hull Travel Answers

change location
hobanma's Profile Photo

Where to stay?

by hobanma Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM

Hi all,

I am going to spend a couple of weeks in the Hull area (I have work nearby). Should I stay in Hull? If so, where?

Someone mentioned that Beverley was nice - any recommendations?

Is there another town I should consider? Leeds and York seem a bit far but I could ride the train I suppose.

Thanks,

Mark

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay?

by planxty Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 5:16 AM

Might I suggest you contact Colin, VT name Brittania2, who lives nearby. Here is a link to his homepage.

"The world of Virtual Tourist and me" - Britannia2's Profile

He is a really nice bloke, active on the forums, and I am sure he will not mind you contacting him. He knows Hull really well and is a top 5 "tipster" for the city.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 8:41 AM

If you want some ideas for B&Bs or hotels, check out www.smoothhound.com. It has very good descriptions and photos of places in all parts of the UK.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Nov 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM

You might also be interested n the official tourist information site, which lists places to stay/things to see & do etc:

http://www.realyorkshire.co.uk/

Beverley is indeed a pleasant town. Info on this link:

realyorkshire.co.uk/thedms.a...

York is really lovely but, as you say, rather a long way.

www.nationalrail.co.uk will give you train times, details and fares.

But UK public transport is not cheap. You may find that staying in Hull is more economical than travelling in and out every day.

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Nov 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM

It all depends on how much you want to pay. Indeed Beverley is very nice - a pleasant market town but the traffic from there in to Hull each morning is awful - allow at least one hour to travel the seven miles. The train - only two stops and very frequent is about £8 return so you need to take that in to account. The best place at the moment to stay is a new small hotel in a historic pub called the Whittington and Cat - needless to say I have never stayed here but it gets great reviews in the local press. Its a good price too and I have an entry on my Hull page.
    Other than that there all the usual places - Ibis, Travel Inn, Premier Inn and so on. Hull is quite safe - do not believe what you read in the heavily biased press. Of course certain parts become a young persons area on Friday and Saturday nights but that's common to all English towns and cities.
    Are you in a car or on the train? If you let me know what your budget is I can advise much better.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines