Kingston upon Hull Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Hull and looking for advice

by Christinaoreo Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 2:26 AM

Hello, I am an American student who will be moving to Hull this Sept. to attend the University of Hull. I was wondering if Hull has a decent supply of part time jobs or are they difficult to find?
I also would like people's opinions on where is the safest, best place to live that is near the University. I have never been to Hull and must make arrangements before I leave. I really just don't want to commit myself to some ghetto!
I appreciate your thought and opinions.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

RE: Moving to Hull and looking for advice

by zuriga Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 5:45 AM

Believe it or not, the UK has no ghettos. I'm sorry I can't help you with Hull.. have never been there but the uni housing people should be able to help you out a bit.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Moving to Hull and looking for advice

by mels1962 Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 5:49 AM

The UK has no ghettos?

You ever been to the Falls Road?

• zuriga's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Moving to Hull and looking for advice

by zuriga Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 6:31 AM

I was kidding. But you've never seen ghettos unless you've seen some in the U.S. Now those are truly ghettos.

by mels1962 Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 6:54 AM

Ghetto means iron foundry in Italian

Not a lot people know that

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 8:06 AM

Yes, you're very right that a lot and maybe most people don't know the derivation of the word. I have a photo of the original.. in Venice.. on my travelpage. I just found this which is interesting..

>The Venetian word ghetto means 'a foundry for artillery' and comes from the verb ghettare 'to throw', which comes from the Vulgar Latin *jectare. Ghetto as the walled and gated area in which Jews were required to live was first used for a section of Venice in 1516, and scholars believe that the word comes from an iron foundry in the neighborhood. Jews were forcibly segregated from the 13th century on in some areas, but the word ghetto wasn't used until the 16th century.

by mels1962 Online Now Jun 9, 2005 at 8:32 AM

Excellent facts

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Jun 10, 2005 at 5:29 AM

Most students either live around the university in the streets that surround it in houses provided by the University. Apparantly you get your own room but have to share bathrom and kitchen facilities. Others live at The Lawns in a nearby village called Cottingham - The Lawns is a large campus set in woodland and you get your own room etc. Its a 15 bus ride on route 105 which goes from Hull centre to Cottingham every 12 minutes.
    There are no ghettos in Hull - a few not so nice areas but ones you are never likely to see or need to go to.
    Newland Avenue which is near the University is a not a glamourous street but Hulls best shoping street outside the city centre. You can buy most things here, far cheaper than anywhere else and there are some good coffee shops and pubs.
    Hull is a friendly city and on the up after years of under investment. There are plenty of part times jobs - a lot of students work at McDonalds but Asda/Walmart and Tesco hire students I am told and are good employers.
    I have a few photos of Hull on my home page.
    You will enjoy student life here.

by Christinaoreo Online Now Jun 22, 2005 at 4:27 AM

Thank you for the advice. I greatly anticipate the future!

• Piggy73's Profile Photo

by Piggy73 Online Now Jun 24, 2005 at 4:06 PM

I can't really add any more info about housing but the once you register as a student & obtain your student card you will be able to login to the Student Union Website www.hullstudent.com where there are vacancies advertised in the "Job Exchange" section - you can take a look but until you obtain a login you can't access contact information. There is also a job exchange office in the Student Union building where you can also register.
    Just a thought - are you allowed to work on a student visa ? Things are getting much stricter in the UK.

All the best

PJL

• dragon_embers's Profile Photo

by dragon_embers Online Now Jul 31, 2005 at 8:09 AM

You can rent accommodation from the univeristy which is on the same street.

• berengere's Profile Photo

RE: Moving to Hull and looking for advice

by berengere Online Now Dec 17, 2005 at 4:16 AM

Hi,
    I lived in Hull when i was a student there, during one year in 97-98. We found a house in a little street close to the newland avenue (reynoldon street). This is a popular district, but quite ok : not far from the Uni (10 mn walking, 5 mn biking) lot of shops, lately opened at night, and not far from the city centre. I recommend you to buy a bike , in a second hand shop, so that you will be able to go from one point to another, without taking buses.
    I do not think that where we lived was a ghetto at all !
    Here is the place where i was living :

the-scheme.com/Hull/Accommod...

You may contact Mr Burns
    Tel : 01937 573531
    £20.00 to £34.00 per person per week (the prices did not increase at all !!)
    £100 per person per year
    There are 4 bedrooms (1 at groundfloor and 3 at the 1st floor). A little garden. the landlors are very kind.

the other option for you is to live on the campus, but i do not think that it is the best.

Good luck
    and have a great time in hull
    cheers
    berengere

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines