Kingston Travel Answers

change location

Driving from Manley airport to Ocho Rios

by pg12359 Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Hello all,
I'm renting a car and driving from the Manley airport in Kingston to Ocho Rios. I've noticed on the map that the road I need to take from the airport (A4) goes through Kingston. It then hooks up with the A1 that I take to Spanish Town before I head north to Ocho Rios. My question: Am I going through downtown Kingston or is there a highway bypass around the city? My wife is quite nervous about driving through Kingston (and so am I... a little).

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • dustmon's Profile Photo

Re: Driving from Manley airport to Ocho Rios

by dustmon Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Is this a done deal? You would be better flying into Montego Bay if not---Ocho is only an hour or so from the airport.....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Driving from Manley airport to Ocho Rios

by pg12359 Online Now Aug 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Tickets already purchased. Airfare was much cheaper to Kingston than Montego Bay. Distances from Montego Bay to OR and Kingston to OR are about the same - so is driving time (from what I've researched).

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Aug 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I am pretty sure that the road connection has changed since my last time in Jah Town, but it did not go through any area you need to worry about. Crime in Kingston is highly over rated, as I am sure it is a bit in NYC. Yes there is crime, but like any other place, with proper caution, you'll do fine.

Personally I cannot go to Jamaica without a few days in Kingston. Granted I know the town pretty well, so know what to look for. Real crime is localized, meaning that Jah Town is fairly big, and there are areas you need to know your way around, but mainly in West Kingston.

Besides, you will be simply driving through. No worries Paul.

Mu Google map is giving me trouble, but I looked for something in Kingston some time back, and you can go down to street level and follow the road through Kingston.

Have a blast in Ocho. If you need any information of fishing, I can really give you an insight. Let me know.

by Odinnthor Online Now Aug 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM

...hell, while I have it handy......

This is a response I have given before, so rahter than be redundant, here it is in its entirerty.

I will add this. Most people that go to Jamaica, never go to Kingston, ususally due to being told that it is dangerous. It is no more dangerous than say, New York. If you have not been to Kingston, you really have not been to Jamaica. Yes I am biased, I spent considerable time in Jah Town. Being a huge reggae fan, to miss the Bob Marley Museum is a crime. However this may not be what you want, but i would not be true to my Jamaica if I did not include it.

bobmarley-foundation.com/mus...

http://www.tuffgong.com/

http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

You said you wanted to take your dad fishing while in Ocho. The question is whether to fish the rivers or the ocean. Check out the following reply I gave another new member. He wanted to go fishing and was wondering if he should do ocean or river. This will give you the real deal on fishing in Jamaica. Good luck and one love!

Having lived in Jamaica some time ago, I would definately say the ocean. No idea who, what or where you are from, so hard to gauge your environment, but if you have done river fishing, Jamaica is not the place to do what you have done.Besides most people come away disappointed with the river fishing as there is just not enough fish and access to cover the multitute of people that want to fish.

There are several ways to fish the ocean in Jamaica, both from deep boat fishing and also closer to shore although not recommended. I always loved to go fishing with the locals from the beach with throw nets covering a cove and then drawing the net in to the beach, while enjoying a cold one and then cook the catch right on the beach. Sadly those days are really over.

Unfortunately beach fishing and reef fishing in Jamaican waters has severely diminished as it simply has been plundered badly, and not much left for real fishing that way anymore.

Be cautious going through the hotel charters as the crews are used to duping the tourist and they do not go to far as they should to safe fuel. If you go through the hotel for a charter, emphasize your preferance for a lively and friendly crew.

In Ocho Rios there are a half a dozen or more crews at the public dock. These guys are not fancy but they have the best crews. Triple B comes to mind if they are still there with Captain Clark.

There is also King Fisher and Sun Fisher, but I believe they are now in Orocabessa (James Bond Beach), pretty cool guys. Orocabessa is a short distance from Ocho Rios.

Quite often the best is to go out with the local fishermen that supply the local restaurants. Key is not to come across as a tourist looking for "island experience". be serious and talk to da bwoys couple of beers go a long way.

Clearly you are going to be there for a while, so it will pay off to hang around the public doc in Ocho, and get to know the environment, lest you want to be treated as the tourists that know nothing about fishing.

Here is some fishing information as well.

jamaica-guide.info/activitie...
    mapsofworld.com/jamaica/econ...

Hope this helps you have a great time fishing! Good luck!

• Re: Driving from Manley airport to Ocho Rios

by pg12359 Online Now Aug 9, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Thanks for the info Erik. After doing more research, I've noted that the road from the airport to Spanish Town runs along the perimeter of Kingston and doesn't really go through the heart of the city. Except for cops looking for bribes, I don't think I should have a problem. My wife has always remarked that my "crazy" driving that scares the hell out of her here really comes in handy in places where everyone drives "crazy."
    I would love to spend some time in Kingston but we're taking our two boys and my mother-in-law so my wife is restricting us to the resort in Ocho. However, since my kids are big Marley fans (like their dad), we will be making a day trip to Nine Mile to see his home and mausoleum.
    Jah mon!!!

by Odinnthor Online Now Aug 9, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Dat wah I lik 'earin me bretheren.....d:o)

Here are the particulars.......Have a great time in Jahland

http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

http://www.tuffgong.com/

bobmarley-foundation.com/mus...

jamaicatravelandculture.com/...

This is a list of tour options in OR. Not necessary to take the tours but will give you an idea of what is available, from Ocho...

ochoriostour.com/ocho-rios-t...

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain..." (Robert Nesta Marley)

"Reggae: The soundtrack to my life......" - Personal Page by Odinnthor

One love!

• ericsas's Profile Photo

by ericsas Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

pg12359 wrote:Thanks for the info Erik. After doing more research, I've noted that the road from the airport to Spanish Town runs along the perimeter of Kingston and doesn't really go through the heart of the city. Except for cops looking for bribes, I don't think I should have a problem. My wife has always remarked that my "crazy" driving that scares the hell out of her here really comes in handy in places where everyone drives "crazy." I would love to spend some time in Kingston but we're taking our two boys and my mother-in-law so my wife is restricting us to the resort in Ocho. However, since my kids are big Marley fans (like their dad), we will be making a day trip to Nine Mile to see his home and mausoleum.
    Jah mon!!!

What is really dangerous is to drive in Jamaica, mainly from Kingston to Ocho Rios, as the road is quite hilly, narrow, and people in Jamaica drive in a very risky way, overtaking cars not minding if someone else is coming on the other road lane.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines