Kingston Travel Answers

change location

A few questions about Kingston

by johnson22980 Online Now Apr 29, 2005 at 10:04 PM

first of all I like to stay in small and modest yet safe and clean accomodations. Hostels would be fine and if a personal room is available would be preferable to anything else, but where ever it is I need a decent place to stay.... Any suggestions??

How safe is Kingstion?

How safe is buying or smoking pot?

Is driving very difficult? I want to hike the Blue Mountains and a car would be prefered transport. What about a guide for the hike? Is that necessary?

Record shops? Is there a market like part of town or day of the week?

Thank you very much, and any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably going to go in 3 weeks or so, but have to reservations for anything yet. Can travel on the fly or do I need to make reservations for any accomodations?

Thanks again
Michael
Reno, NV, USA

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • planxty's Profile Photo

RE: A few questions about Kingston

by planxty Online Now Apr 30, 2005 at 3:19 AM

Sorry, I can't help you with a hostel tip. I was there a month ago on business and stayed in a big hotel.

Kingston is generally not safe to walk about yourself. There are areas of New Kingston that are OK during the day (Constant Spring Road, Trafalgar Road and so on) but you need to know what you're doing.

The police are very strict about possession of drugs, although you will be offered it everywhere.

The driving standards are absolutely appalling, and the road conditions (apart for the new toll road) outside Kingston can be very poor.

Do not go to the central market by yourself - it's right close to some very bad areas, and you will probably get some grief.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Jamaica and especially the people there, and I don't want to put you off, but you need to be a little bit shrewd there.

Check out my Jamaica pages for some more advice.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • planxty's Profile Photo

RE: RE: A few questions about Kingston

by planxty Online Now Apr 30, 2005 at 3:30 AM

You might also want to check out this web page -

fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pag...

It's the British Foreign Office advice for travel to Jamaica.

• morgr's Profile Photo

RE: A few questions about Kingston

by morgr Online Now May 12, 2005 at 2:39 AM

For a place to stay in Kingston, try Leighton house. They had a dorm room (4 beds) and a few double and single rooms. All real cheap and in an OK location, and it's secured with wall and fence (most everything in Kingston is). It's 5 minutes walking distance from Emancipation park and New Kingston (or Uptown as it's also called). Little difficult to find the first time as it's on a small back road though.

And yes, walking around Kinston is perfectly safe, though avoid Trenchtown and that area. Also, probably avoid downtown after dark too.

Poking smot? There is no shortage of offers. Though don't carry it around with you, especially in Kingston. Police checks were frequent. Smoke it back at Leighton in the room or on the porch.

Driving in JA would probably be difficult. They drive on the left side of the road for one (wich would take getting used to) and they drive like maniacs. There are LOTS of car crashes in Jamaica.

• RE: A few questions about Kingston

by nickyj Online Now May 12, 2005 at 2:15 PM

Hi there,
    Would suggest you try the Mayfair. It's a little off the beaten track but in a perfectly safe location with a great bar. Walking around Kingston is not wise, not necessarily from the crime perspective but as a tourist you can expect a fair amount of hassle.
    Driving in Kingston is a little less hair raising than on the rest of the island by virtue of the fact there is so much traffic. We do drive on the left but you can get a left hand drive vehicle if you want. Roads in Kingston are generally in much better condition that outside the city.
    As for smoking pot. Don't do it. If you're caught you will be charged and locked up and the General Penitentiary is not where you want to spend your vacation.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines