Killiney Travel Answers

change location
Peaudusoie's Profile Photo

Visiting Dublin - First trip

by Peaudusoie Online Now Oct 9, 2006 at 12:31 PM

HiEveryone
I am planning a trip from 11/20 - 11/26 and trying to decide on Dublin. However, I am not sure what is there to do at that time of the year. Is it very cold then? I would like to visit local pubs and restaurants but where is the best place to stay to access the Guiness factory and Waterford Cristal and perhaps to buy good hand made linen?

Thank you for responses
Peaudusoie

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

RE: Visiting Dublin - First trip

by mccalpin Online Now Oct 9, 2006 at 1:44 PM

Hey, Jacque, you may want to repost this in the Dublin Forum...Killiney is (as you may know) a small town about 20-30 minutes south of Dublin.

As for "very cold", it depends on what you mean by cold. I was in Killiney one August when the temperature was in the middle 70s(F), and everyone was complaining about the heat, and even claimed that when the temperatures hit 80(F) the week before, that people were passing out from the heat(!). However, note that it seldom snows in Ireland. So you will have short days, maybe dark, with quite cool but not freezing temperatures...have a look at www.weather.com and see what the historical averages are...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Peaudusoie's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Visiting Dublin - First trip

by Peaudusoie Online Now Oct 9, 2006 at 5:11 PM

Thanks for pointing this out to me, I was so sure that I posted in the right place!!!!!!

• Re: Visiting Dublin - First trip

by andrearay1 Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Did you ever visit killiney? I'm now in tx, usa, but i lived on killiney hill road for 11 years with my grandparents and its one of the most beautiful and quaint places i can think of. When i see pics of it it makes me homesick. We used to swim in the sea just down the road from my house which was called oakdene lodge at the top of saintbury hill ave. which was a very steep winding road that ran straight into the one that runs in front of the train station. I'd love to know if any of my old neighbors still live there in homes called santbury and tignabrush. The sheehans and the Nixons. I'm rambling now. Let me know how your trip went. Sincerely, Andrea

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Dublin - First trip

by mccalpin Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Well, Andrea, since it's been 6 years since this post was originally made, who knows if we'll hear anything...but when I stayed in Killiney, I stayed with the Latouche family, whose address was The Bramblings. As an American, I though that it was very odd to have a name as a postal address, but such were the ways in Ireland and the UK.

Now I have the impression that Dublin has practically expanded all the way out to Killiney, in the same way that Dallas/Ft. Worth extends practically to the Red River (I live in Richardson), so I don't know how much the feel of the place has changed.

But it was a pretty enough place...the Latouches had about an acre with trees planted all around the property so that it was difficult to see any of the neighbors, but you did have a nice view of the Irish Sea...

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines