Killarney Travel Answers

change location

Jaames & Ellen Welch

by kdrenney Online Now Feb 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM

We are planning a trip to Ireland in search of our ancestors. My Great Grandfather Robert Welch (several different versions of spelling have been found)was born in Killarney, Kerry, Ireland about 1840. The IGI file states that he and his parents Janes and Ellen were Roman Catholic. I am looking for further information on them. Does this church have the records if not could you advise as to where we should start. We plan to stay in Ireland about a week, so our time will be short. He married a girl by the name of Margaret O'Connor who was born in Bally-Na-Lackin, Limerick, Ireland and will want to go to that area too. We have a little more information on her than we do in Robert and his family.

Any assistance you can offer will be so greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely
Kate Welch Denney
Canyon Lake, Texaa
s

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: Jaames & Ellen Welch

by annemariebyrne Online Now Feb 22, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Hi Kate! A good place to start would be www.nationalarchives.ie which will give you good tips and links to other sites. Also have a look at www.census.nationalarchives.ie where you will find the 1911 census online although I think that might be a bit late for your ancestors as they probably had left the country by then. However there might be links to their family members who stayed behind.
    Also if you contact the parish churches where your ancestors were born you may be able to get birth, baptism or marriage records for them. Hope this helps,
    Anne Marie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CHLuke's Profile Photo

Re: Jaames & Ellen Welch

by CHLuke Online Now Feb 26, 2010 at 5:52 AM

The most common spelling of the name in Kerry of recent times is Walsh, but there are areas of Kerry where the name is still pronounced 'Welch/Welsh'.
    There are several RC churches in Killarney Parish, one that was active in 1840s was St. Mary's Cathedral. I'm not sure how intact parish records are though.

CHLuke

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines