Kilkenny Travel Answers

change location

HOW DO I FIND A DINNER HOST FAMILY IN KILKENNY?

by Lynemas Online Now Aug 24, 2010 at 8:02 AM

We are heading to Ireland & I have heard of people having a traditional irish dinner with a host family (not accommodations), just dinner to experience the culture.

Has anyone done this & where might I find a host family for a dinner?

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • clunker's Profile Photo

Re: HOW DO I FIND A DINNER HOST FAMILY IN KILKENNY?

by clunker Online Now Aug 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Well I won't say that such a thing is not possible, but it's a new concept to me(unless, of course, it's someone you already know that invites you over). I have been fortunate to travel to Ireland fairly often and have yet to ever hear of this. If it's just the meal you're looking for, most restaurants and many pubs will offer a "Sunday Roast", especially on weekends. The family meal in my experience is not a drawn out affair that lasts several hours with various traditions, toasts, etc., like some countries. We would pretty much sit down and eat, then move on to the sitting room, pub, or whatever. Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • poppy6488's Profile Photo

by poppy6488 Online Now Aug 26, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I don't think any Irish folk on the forum answered this, as it doesn't sound like a very believable query! :-)

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Aug 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I once heard about this sort of thing here on VT - but I think it must have been an advert for it soon disappeared.

However some people feel that staying in a private home for dinner B&B is a good way to encounter local people. You could consider that as an option - but it will of course be as a Paying Guest.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines