Kilkenny Travel Answers

change location

How to get to Kilkenny from Ennis

by serpentine Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 12:41 AM

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Kilkenny on August, but I don't know how to get there. We will be coming from Ennis. I've checked http://www.buseireann.ie/ but I don't find any way to get to Kilkenny. Any idea, please? And, how long would the travel be?

Thank you so much!!

Natalia.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • donalh's Profile Photo

RE: How to get to Kilkenny from Ennis

by donalh Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Ok, this seems to be the journey from Hell. The only bus that I can find goes from Ennis to Cork, change at Cork and then Cork to Kilkenny. Long and tedious. Alternatively, there is a bus from Ennis to Limerick to Dublin that stops in Roscrea. There "must" be a bus from Roscrea to Kilkenny but I can't find it on the Buseireann site but there's got to be one.

Alternatively again, you can bus to Limerick and then train to Kilkenny vis most Irish midland towns !! Another nightmare that will take an entire day to go about 100 miles.

There has got to be a better way. If I was you I would email sales@buseireann.ie and tell them that their 'journey planner' section of their web site is broken and could they advise you of the best route from Ennis to Kilkenny.

Let us know what happens !!!

Donal

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: RE: How to get to Kilkenny from Ennis

by orlikins Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 8:06 AM

How did you get Ennis to Cork in the buseireann search engine?? :)That doesn't make any sense.

Limerick is the nearest transport hub in the region, you will have to change there no matter what. It is only 20 miles or so from Ennis.

There is no direct bus or train from Ennis to Kilkenny, you will have to change buses once or twice along the route, most likely in Limerick and Clonmel or Cahir.

You could try getting a direct train or bus from Limerick to Waterford, change in Waterford for Kilkenny? Waterford city is only an hour from Kilkenny by bus (or 30 mins by train) and it is a lovely place in its own right.

But to be honest, considering the two towns are no more than 3 hours (approx) apart by car, it would take the best part of your day to get there by either form of public transport, which is daft. :)

• RE: RE: How to get to Kilkenny from Ennis

by serpentine Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 8:11 AM

Well, thanks for your help donalh. The better way I founded to get to Kilkenny from Ennis is either by bus: from Ennis to Limerick, from there to Clonmel, and from Clonmel to Kilkenny. That would be 3:50 h. and I would have to change buses twice.
    Another possibility I found is by train: from Ennis to Limerick, then to Limerick Junction, from there to Kildare, and finally from there to Kilkenny. That would last 5 h.!! And I would have to change trains 3 times.

Plus, bus is cheaper than train I think. So I will probably go by bus.
    If someone has a better option, please tell me.

I didn't thought it was so difficult to get to Kilkenny!! I hope it will be worthy at least!

by serpentine Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 8:19 AM

Thanks orlikins!

That fact is that we do not have a car, so we have to get there by transport. I will consider your option (Limerick to Waterford, and from there to Kilkenny).

Or maybe I should erase Kilkenny from my route! The problem is that I have already booked and hostel there :(

• orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: How to get to Kilkenny from Ennis

by orlikins Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 8:26 AM

Well, you can always cancel if it turns out to be too much, but Kilkenny is a lovely place and it would be a shame not to see it, if you're into history. I go there a lot and have been to practically every pub in the town ;-)

by serpentine Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 9:26 AM

Well, I have to return to Dublin to take my return flight, and as it seems that it is as difficult to go from Ennis to Dublin than from Ennis to Kilkenny, I will probably go to Kilkenny first anyway.

Thanks for your help!

• eireguy's Profile Photo

RE: How to get to Kilkenny from Ennis

by eireguy Online Now Jun 27, 2006 at 5:03 AM

try from Ennis to Kilkenny via Clonmel, it takes about 3.45 hours

See beloe

Detailed view - Where a change of service is involved, please allow sufficient time for connections to cater for traffic delays, etc.

Stop Date Arr. Dep. Route Comments
    Ennis (Bus Station) 27.06.06 13:20 51
    Bus Direction: Cork (Parnell Place Bus Station)

Limerick (Bus Station) 14:20

Limerick (Bus Station) 14:30 55
    Bus Direction: Waterford (Bus Station, Merchants Quay)

Clonmel (Rail Station) 15:55

Clonmel (Rail Station) 16:00 7
    Bus Direction: Dublin (Busáras, Store St)

Kilkenny (Rail Station) 17:05

Duration: 3:45; runs Mo - Sa, not 7. Aug

Show intermediate stops Print view top of page

by serpentine Online Now Jul 8, 2006 at 1:53 AM

Hi eireguy!

Thanks a lot. I've already checked that option and that is probably the way I will go to Kilkenny. And it is also cheaper than train...

Cheers!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines