Kilkenny Travel Answers

change location
VivianD's Profile Photo

visiting in april

by VivianD Online Now Apr 6, 2005 at 4:05 PM

hi everyone! planning on visiting ireland week of april 18th...
just wondering how long i should stay in kilkenny? was planning on going to galway and further west for the countryside.... but i have a family friend in kilkenny who has a place that i could stay at.. so i figure it might be saving money that way and see medieval kilkenny instead??... but... just wondering if anyone had any tips or if i should head to the west coast? also, how will the weather be? would it be a good idea to rent bikes and bike around kilkenny and surrounding towns? THANKS!!!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: visiting in april

by orlikins Online Now Apr 8, 2005 at 2:11 AM

Yes, 2 days is enough for Kilkenny town, it is not that big, but it is full of history (i love it). You can head down to Waterford city, Jerpoint abbey, Rock of Cashel, Wexford and do a general tour of the South East, a beautiful area I feel is frequently overlooked by foreign tourists. You would be half-way between Cork and Dublin if you want to explore that option.

As far as I know you cannot get a direct bus from Kilkenny to Galway, I reckon you would probably have to change buses in Limerick city.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Moloney's Profile Photo

by Moloney Online Now Apr 12, 2005 at 1:11 PM

Just to expand a bit on Orlkins' point about the south east, I would certainly reccommend visiting Waterford and Tramore for a day each. Tramore especially so: a seaside resort and as such, is often associated with a certain kind of...unsophisticated (well what other word is there??!) tourism but is has retained much of it's original Victorian "watering-hole" charm.

Up the Deise,

John

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

by LauraWest Online Now May 6, 2005 at 5:26 AM

Tramore? Glad I saw your tip this morning/maybe I'll stop there, too. Do you recommend any Travel Pages I could visit on Tramore?

by Moloney Online Now May 6, 2005 at 8:30 AM

I'm not aware of any travel pages on Tramore. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to help. Providing I'm able to, that is! You could do worse than to visit Tramore - it's really not the worst spot on the planet, I've heard of places in Siberia which are supposed to be worse.

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

by LauraWest Online Now May 6, 2005 at 7:49 PM

You make me laugh. I like your humor. I'm traveling on a very lim budget. Are there good, cheap lodgings?

by Moloney Online Now May 9, 2005 at 1:33 AM

Here's one in Tramore:

hostels.com/en/availability....

You might be better off staying in Waterford tho, as it's only 7 miles from Tramore with a regular bus service to boot.

Here's a couple of Waterford city Hostels:

Waterford Hostel: 70 Manor Street,Waterford City, +353 51 850163

Viking House, Coffee House Lane, Greyfriars, The Quay, Waterford, +353 51 853827

Best of luck

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines