Kilimanjaro Region

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Looking for a gym

Mwanza 14 hours ago

Hi could anybody direct me to any gyms in Mwanza? I would like to know roughly how much they charge and if they do classes?

Thanks

more
    • monica88's Profile Photo

Expats in Mwanza

Mwanza Mar 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Hi!
      Im a new expat living in Mwanza and would be living here for the next few months. I would like to meet other nice expats to explore the city and possibly travel. If you're interested, feel free to inbox me.

more
    • Hotels in Dar ess Salaam

Dar es Salaam Apr 15, 2014 at 5:08 AM

Which ones are the good hotels in Dar es Salaam?

more
    • fasterdog's Profile Photo

Day trip from Arusha to Lake Manyara / Tarangire National Parks

Arusha Apr 2, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Does anyone know if it is practical to make a 1-day return trip from Arusha to the Lake Manyara / Tarangire area? I guess it takes at least 2 hours driving each way, but that still seems to leave late morning and all afternoon to see the wildlife.

I am thinking of late June, so is it better to concentrate on Lake Manyara or Tarangire at this time of year?

If it is a practical option, does it need to be organized a long time in advance or can we organize it the day before, with a reliable operator of course?

more
    • fasterdog's Profile Photo

Travel from Mwanza to Musoma

Mwanza Mar 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM

What is the best way to travel from Mwanza to Musoma in Tanzania? I have read that there are buses available in the mornings, but if these aren't available, is it there some sort of private transport which I can hire at a reasonable price?

Also, does anyone know a good hotel in Musoma with an email address so that I can contact them to book a room?

more

Popular Kilimanjaro Region Travel Answer Locations

• can you join us for 5 days kili climb on may 23/ 2014?

Kilimanjaro National Park Mar 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Hi everyone!
      am going to climb mount kilimanjaro on may 23, 5 days 4 nights marangu route, i would like to join with anybody who need to join too, we have to share usd 1100 per person everything included such as park fees, food,guide,porters,cooker,resque fee and transfers to and from marangu gate also airport. for more info you can email our Tour company where we booked the tour info@kilimanjarobudgetsafaris.com or www.kilimanjarobudgetsafaris.com we a now in moshi Tanzania at kcmc Hospital.

• Local Taxis

Kilimanjaro National Park Feb 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM

What is the cost of a local taxi to Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort Merangu, the distance and time from Kilimanjaro Airport, please ?

4 Answers Feb 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    • E-Trip Africa

Kilimanjaro Region Feb 20, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Does anyone know about a company called E-Trip Africa. They have given us very reasonable rate for Lemosho 9 day trek. They have been very good about responding to our questions. I only found a few reviews about them on Trip Advisor and a few other sites. All the reviews where quite good. But I am thinking that it is more safe to book with an American Company. Atleast, then if something goes wrong I can use the system to try to get my money back.

9 Answers Sep 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    • cosmichoover's Profile Photo

Missing luggage

Kilimanjaro National Park Aug 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Hi! My friend recently left for Africa (she climbs Kilimanjaro in six weeks time)and unfortunately her bag containing all her clothing, boots etc for the trek did not arrive with her. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to help her - send some more things, or will she be able to get some more gear out there? She is currently in Dar es Salaam. (It's her first time away from home and her parents are worrying!!) Thanks very much! x

13 Answers May 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    • Break in boots & which kind?

Kilimanjaro Region Feb 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I have a big climb I've just been able to book, but need advice on buying and breaking in boots.

Last time I went to high altitude, I had a pair of reliable four seasons I'd been using on the smaller climbs and snow stuff. They were about two years old, in great shape, but really used to my feet.

Anyway- The guy at the retail place says that, even gearing up for a big climb, I can afford to wait up to two weeks before setting out, and still buy and break in new boots. This seems like cutting it close to me, but I've never had to do it before. I might buy new boots two weeks before a little climb, but I've got a six day trip planned, including high altitude. I need my boots to work, especially if I have to take out a small mortgage to get them.

So, is two weeks long enough to break in heavy boots before an unusually big climb for me?

Also, looking for advice on a lighter weight but sturdy four seasons boot. My Mammuts have been with me on every big excursion. I've loved them, but they were really heavy... feel like I'm lifting boulders with every step after about hour ten... Anyone recommend a good women's boot that's a bit lighter weight for the sturdyness?

Thx.

2 Answers Feb 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    • Lemosho Route 2012

Kilimanjaro Region Feb 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Hi all I just looking at some info on this route an about the climb really? I am going on my own but with action challenge, If there is anyone tht has ever done this route who I cud get in contact with to find out any little things tht wud help. And wot is poli poli? Thanks all.

1 Answer Feb 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    • TitusJohn's Profile Photo

help please

Kilimanjaro Region Jan 14, 2012 at 6:13 AM

hi friends,
      i have a plan to climb Kilimanjaro mountain, up to this time and someone advised me to use Keys Hotels and Tours. may any one tell me about its service quality please? or any alternative I can choose?

3 Answers Feb 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    • charity events up kilimanjaro???

Kilimanjaro Region Sep 2, 2011 at 3:52 AM

hi everyone.

Does anybody know of any charity teams that do climbs up the umbre route of kilimanjaro. Really struggling to find somewere.

Please get back to me with any info.

Great Thanks

6 Answers Jan 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    • kissmagdi's Profile Photo

Kilimanjaro climb with Akaro tours

Kilimanjaro Region Jul 14, 2011 at 11:56 PM

HI,
      Anyone has any recent experience with Akaro tours?
      Thanks!!!

2 Answers Oct 5, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    • langlanglangpelikan's Profile Photo

Routes of Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro National Park Jun 30, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Hi!

Am planning a trip to Kilimanjaro soon, and am looking at the different routes and guiding companies.
      I still haven't found any companies that have the option of going up one route and come down a different one. For example to go up from the west side of the mountain and come down on the east side.

Does anyone know if this option is possible?

11 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    • kissmagdi's Profile Photo

Kilimanjaro climb - Marangu route

Kilimanjaro National Park Jun 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM

HI, I`m going to take the Marangu route on Kilimanjaro 11th or 12th September. Anyone interested to join us to share the fun?

• Anyone used 'Big expeditions' for their climb?

Kilimanjaro National Park May 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Hello,

i am planning a kilimanjaro trip later this year.

i have extensivly researched many tour operators and have now narrowed it down to 3 preferred KNAP affiliated operators,one of them being 'BIG EXPEDITIONS' based in Arusha.

My questions are:

In the past 18 months has anyone used this company for climbing kili and had a positive/negative experience?

How was their equipment,food ,toilets,water etc?

How was their before and after the climb hotel?

How was their safety program/procedures?

Who was your preferred lead guide?why?

Many thanks-Jason

2 Answers Aug 15, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    • gondogoro's Profile Photo

AfriGalaxy Tours??

Kilimanjaro National Park Jan 24, 2011 at 4:37 AM

I will be climbing with AfriGalaxyTours..in March.has anyone any experience with this company.They have a website too..but no one has left any comments on it.Please do let me know..Thanks

1 Answer Mar 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM

March Climb

Kilimanjaro National Park Jan 15, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Anyone interested in teaming up for an early March Climb(Will be starting on the 3rd hopefully via the Marangu Route on a 6 night itinerary)?

4 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    • Fear of Heights...

Kilimanjaro National Park Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Hi!

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip for March 2011 to climb Kilimanjaro. I have a pretty debilitating fear of heights (so naturally, I want to climb a mountain) and am looking into both the Rongai and Marangu routes. There's a wealth of information on the internet, and these trails have ratings that appeal most to me. I've been interpreting them as they don't require a vertical climb up steps/rocks on narrow ledges – but it will be a steep ascent on a wide path. How far off am I? Although I'm afraid of heights, I have no problem skiing, snowboarding and hiking. I just become fearful when I'm close to an edge and have to walk vertically.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

3 Answers Oct 31, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Partner/Company needed

Kilimanjaro Region Oct 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Hi,I intend climbing K'jaro in end December,and hope to see the first sunrise of 2011 from the summit of Uhuru Peak!I don't mind going via any route.Preferably 7days(but not very rigid).Just for others to gauge me(as trek partners),Im 40 and have been till K2 Base Camp(Karakorams,Pakistan) and crossed the Gondogoro La(Karakorams..18400feet).Basically from Pakistan,Im presently in Sudan.Thanx

10 Answers Nov 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    • How many people summit Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro National Park Aug 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Has anyone read any recent figures on how many people try to summit Kilimanjaro each year and how many people actually make it? A lot of the tour companies seem to tout some really high success rates, but then I thought I read somewhere that only about 40% of those who try make it.

4 Answers Nov 25, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    • Tipping

Kilimanjaro National Park Aug 6, 2010 at 6:41 AM

I've arranged a trek for me and my father in law. Just the two od us are gonna trek Mt. Kilimanjaru (Marangu route). We have bought the trip through 'Evans Adventure Tours' in Moshi and they have provided us with: 1 guide, 1 assistant guide, 1 cook and 6 porters. I'm very much in doubt of how to tip them - can anybody help? Some years back my father in laws' brother did the climb and gave the guide 10 USD, but I find this amount extremely low, so what shall I do?
      KR Jacob

3 Answers Aug 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    • snowboarder74's Profile Photo

Visa on Arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport (JRO)

Kilimanjaro Region Jul 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Anyone with recent experience in getting Visa on Arrival at the Kilimanjaro Airport? Not in favor of mailing my passport to the embassy in my country so looking to get the visa upon arrival.

Any tips or things to keep in mind upon arrival? Is it a long process? Our flight lands around 8:30 PM. TIA.

3 Answers Sep 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    • rupturedduck's Profile Photo

from Kili to Dar Es Salaam

Kilimanjaro National Park May 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I would like to hire a car with or without a driver to go from Kili to dar es salaam ( without return). We can spend several days on the road. any suggestions ? how to get a car , were to go, what to see.

thanks

frank

• tommy69b's Profile Photo

Outfitter Recommendation and GAP Adventure Tour

Kilimanjaro National Park Jan 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Hi Guys,

I am planning to climb Kili in August 2010. Is this a good time to go?

I am currently looking at using GAP Adventure Tours for a climb/safari package.

gapadventures.com/trips/kili...

Have any VTers used GAP before? What did you think? Also, I am assuming that GAP outsources to another outfitter. Does anyone know who it is?

Can anyone recommend another tour company to use?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

6 Answers Aug 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    • KIlimanjaro Dreams

Kilimanjaro National Park Jan 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM

What is the best route to take? How much should I budget for "in-country" expenses. How much time should I budget. Who is the best outfitter. What is the best time of year to go and what should I pack that is not the obvious.

Thanks for taking the time.

Josh

2 Answers Jan 3, 2010 at 2:34 AM
    • nathanronen's Profile Photo

Anyone Familiar with Team Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro Region Nov 8, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Hi,

I am considerong booking a trek on Kilimanjaro with a company called Team Kilimanjaro? Is anyone familira with them, used them, can comment on their safety, knowledge, experience and quality of treks?

Any advice is helpful and appreciated.

Thanks.

Nathan

• mgilks's Profile Photo

kilimanjaro treks

Kilimanjaro National Park Oct 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM

can anyone tell me the cheapest company to book a trek with ???

2 Answers Mar 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Your advice on Kili and rest of Tanzania Itinerary for July 2010

Kilimanjaro Region Sep 9, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Hello VTers with Tanazania experience,

It has been a long and difficult journey to come up with a realistic itinerary to Tanzania for July 2010. I have come up with the following itinerary through consultations, but now turn to you for help on any suggestions, amendments, kudos, etc. you may have. ANYTHING!

Here is the masterpiece...what do you all think?

Day 1: 30th June: Dar es Salaam Arrival
      Arrive 8:10pm. Transfer to hotel after evening airport arrival.
      Overnight at the Movenpick Palm Royal hotel.
      Day 2: 1st July: Dar es Salaam – Arusha,
      Pick up at the Movenpick Palm Royal for airport transfer. Morning flight with Precision Air to Arusha Airport. Upon arrival transfer to Arumeru River Lodge. Climb briefing and gear check with Kilimanjaro guide. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner.
      Day3: 2nd July Arusha National Park.
      Leave after breakfast to ANAPA. This tour will give me time to recuperate from my international flight. Moreover, by adding this day, it will give you time to find me and you extra gears if needed or incase of any luggage delays.

Day 4: 3rd July: Arusha – Londorossi Gate – Big Tree/Forest Camp (10,000ft)
      In the morning drive from hotel to Londorossi Gate and after registration drive to the dropping off point for Lemosho to meet porters and begin the trek to the Big Tree (Forest) Camp. Overnight stay in tents throughout the climb (Tents must include; sleeping bags and sleeping pads/Thermarests). Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner included all days
      Day 5: 4th July: Shira 1 Camp (up to 11500ft- descend to 1100ft)
      Day 6: 5th July: Moir Camp (13200ft )
      Day 7: 6th July: Lava Tower camp (14500ft)
      Day 8: 7th July: Lava Tower Extra day ( Acclimatization day)
      Day 9: 8th July: Arrow Glacier Camp (16000ft)
      Day 10: 9th July: Crater Camp (18500ft)
      Day 11: 10th July: Summit in the morning, overnight Mweka hut (10000 ft).
      Day 12: 11th July: Depart early morning to Mweka gate. Lunch at the gate. After signing out, drive for about 2.5 hours to Arusha, and then drive to Bougainvillea lodge in Karatu.

Day 13: 12th July: Lake Eyasi Hadzabe tour.
      With an early start on this day, drive to Lake Eyasi. There visit the tribe while accompanied by a Hadzabe liaison Guide together with my own driver Guide. Participate in activities with Hadzabe tribe. Driver guide will help interpret for me what the tribe guide will be talking about. Later drive back to Bougainvillea lodge. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner

Day 14: 13th July: Ngorongoro Crater
      Early morning departure for game drive in Ngorongoro Crater. Spend the day exploring Crater. Hopefully see the rhino, as well as many other animals. In the evening, visit the Maasai boma and learn about this tribe. Overnight Bougainvillea Lodge again. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner

Day 15: 14th July: Serengeti National Park
      En route to Serengeti after breakfast. This should be a full day game drive. However, on the way to Serengeti, stop at Oldupai archeological site. The plan is to get to central- north Serengeti, Seronera area. I understand that July is not a migration season, but seronera area should be rich with wildlife and if it rains, there is a big chance that I will be able to see the beginning of wildlife migration moving in from the north. ( Masai Mara area). Seronera Wildlife Lodge, Mbuzi Mawe tented camp, or any similar lodges should be used. Please select a good accommodation that is not too expensive. I know choices are limited but I am looking for good value and good location. Overnight. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner

Day 16: 15th July: Serengeti National Park:
      Full day game drive in the Serengeti, in search of animals as well as the migration. Seronera Wildlife Lodge or Mbuzi tented camp or any similar. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner

Day 17: 16th July: Serengeti National Park
      This will be another full day game drive. Overnight at Seronera Wildlife Lodge, Or Serena lodge or Mbuzi Mawe tented camp, Located in the central Serengeti. The lodge should be close to Seronera Air strip. Breakfast; Lunch; Dinner

Day 18: 17th July: Fly Serengeti-Arusha-Zanzibar.
      Fly from Serengeti to Zanzibar. After arriving at Zanzibar Airport transfer to the Tembo Hotel in Stone Town.
      Overnight stay at Tembo Hotel. Breakfast only.

Day 19: 18th July: Stone Town
      Spice tour as well as tour of historical Stone Town. Overnight stay at Tembo Hotel. Breakfast only

Day 20: 19th July: Stone Town – Fly to Dar es Salaam – Depart for USA
      Transfer to the Zanzibar Airport for flight to Dar es Salaam and then evening international flight home. In the morning of this day arrange a guided trip to Jozani for me in the morning and take an afternoon flight back to Dar. Fly back to USA from Dar at 9:20pm.

Any comments? Any? Thanks so much.

3 Answers Sep 11, 2009 at 6:11 AM

Kilimanjaro Climb -- Western Breach vs Shira/Lemosho Route

Kilimanjaro Region Aug 29, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Hello VTers,

I'd like to hear from folks who have already climbed the Western Breach or the Shira/Lemosho Route because I am in a dilemma about which route to use because of all the contradictory information out there.

I know the bad rap that the Western Breach got because of the 3 Americans who were killed 3 years ago as well as the rock slippage that has happened recently.

However, the Western Breach acclimatization process on a daily basis seems to be more practical than the Shira Lemosho route, and the final ascent seems to be less daunting than the Shira/Lemosho route and the Western Breach seem sto be really amazing in terms of views and finally, the distances you walk each day on the Western Breach route are much less than the Shira/Lemoshor route.

On the other hand, the Western Breach may require more rock scrambling than the Shira/Lemosho and may have more risk involved due to rock slippage.

So, any suggestions on which route to take.

Things to consider: I am NOT a professional climber, hiker or trekker. I have been to Peru, Bolivia and Tibet before with minimal altitude sickness issues. I am not a sporty guy, do not really work out, but am not overweight (average build) and have good energy for what I want to do.

I am really in a dilemma because each company poo-poos the Western breach route here in USA, but many other companies say there is a higher success rate tha the Shira/Lemosho route because of better acclimitization process (not major asecnts any day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nathan

3 Answers Nov 6, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    • Family Holiday Africa

Kilimanjaro Region Jul 24, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Hi all. I am taking my wife and two daughters to Tanzania and then to Moshi to visit some schools. This however will only take a day or two adn we would like to spend another 3 days on a Safari or the like. As I have my family Id like to organise a responsible guide to collect us from the aiport, help us during our time there, book lodgings etc and then return us to the airport.

Can anyone suggest a reliable source for this type of service.

3 Answers Aug 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    • Hiring Gear

Kilimanjaro National Park Jan 31, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Hi there,

A group of us are climbing Kili in three weeks. YAY!!!

Just some last minutes questions id really appreciate some help with.

Is there somewhere we can hire gear for the trek OTHER than through our tour company (they arent based in Tanzania)????????????????

We were hoping to hire sleeping bags,, waterproof jackets, and maybe gloves. ???

Also can anyone tell me what the weather is like in february? As in how many layers of clothing we will need on the mountain?

Any MUSTS that we should have to ensure wekeep warm and may need on the trek????? I dont want anything to get in the way.

Thankyou so much for your help

3 Answers Feb 3, 2009 at 12:15 AM
    • Trek to Kilimanjaro with Marangu Hotel

Kilimanjaro Region Jan 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

hi,
      can someone tell if the services that the marangu hotel provide for the trek to the Kili are good ? we will we taking the marangu route, any recommendation ? can you recommend some other agencies ?
      many thanks
      Nina

3 Answers Feb 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    • samuelbrown's Profile Photo

Use the outfitter Kiliwarriors?

Kilimanjaro National Park Jun 14, 2008 at 9:33 AM

I am planning a 8 day Kili trek via the Western Breach in Feb 2009 and I am looking at Kiliwarriors (www.go-kili.com). Has anyone used Kiliwarriors and if yes, I would love to know your thoughts on using them, your experiences in general and whether you would recommend using them. Thanks so much -- Sam