Travel Answers
Kilimanjaro National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• BE001903's Profile Photo

Can anyone recommend a good beach resort?

Zanzibar Island Dec 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM

We want to book +- 4 days at a beach resort in Zanzibar (after a short stay in Stone Town). We'll be going next year first week of June (after a 2 week safari ).
      I'm looking for: nice (preferable harass free ) beach, possibility to swim in the see, hotel with clean rooms with sea view, nice and clean pool, restaurants with à la carte possibility (preferably no buffets), possibility to book boat (and other ) tours with a preference for smaller hotels. Has anyone been to such a Zanzibar beach hotel (price range similar to Blue bay Beach resort which was proposed by the local agent but which seems to have reviews ranging from good to awfull)

more
    • can you join us for 5 days kili climb on may 23/ 2014?

by kibusa Online Now Mar 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Hi everyone!
      am going to climb mount kilimanjaro on may 23, 5 days 4 nights marangu route, i would like to join with anybody who need to join too, we have to share usd 1100 per person everything included such as park fees, food,guide,porters,cooker,resque fee and transfers to and from marangu gate also airport. for more info you can email our Tour company where we booked the tour info@kilimanjarobudgetsafaris.com or www.kilimanjarobudgetsafaris.com we a now in moshi Tanzania at kcmc Hospital.

• Local Taxis

by TrevDavey Online Now Feb 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM

What is the cost of a local taxi to Kilimanjaro Mountain Resort Merangu, the distance and time from Kilimanjaro Airport, please ?

4 Answers Feb 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    • cosmichoover's Profile Photo

Missing luggage

by cosmichoover Online Now Aug 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Hi! My friend recently left for Africa (she climbs Kilimanjaro in six weeks time)and unfortunately her bag containing all her clothing, boots etc for the trek did not arrive with her. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to help her - send some more things, or will she be able to get some more gear out there? She is currently in Dar es Salaam. (It's her first time away from home and her parents are worrying!!) Thanks very much! x

13 Answers May 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    • langlanglangpelikan's Profile Photo

Routes of Kilimanjaro

by langlanglangpelikan Online Now Jun 30, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Hi!

Am planning a trip to Kilimanjaro soon, and am looking at the different routes and guiding companies.
      I still haven't found any companies that have the option of going up one route and come down a different one. For example to go up from the west side of the mountain and come down on the east side.

Does anyone know if this option is possible?

11 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    • kissmagdi's Profile Photo

Kilimanjaro climb - Marangu route

by kissmagdi Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM

HI, I`m going to take the Marangu route on Kilimanjaro 11th or 12th September. Anyone interested to join us to share the fun?

• Anyone used 'Big expeditions' for their climb?

by JASON036 Online Now May 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Hello,

i am planning a kilimanjaro trip later this year.

i have extensivly researched many tour operators and have now narrowed it down to 3 preferred KNAP affiliated operators,one of them being 'BIG EXPEDITIONS' based in Arusha.

My questions are:

In the past 18 months has anyone used this company for climbing kili and had a positive/negative experience?

How was their equipment,food ,toilets,water etc?

How was their before and after the climb hotel?

How was their safety program/procedures?

Who was your preferred lead guide?why?

Many thanks-Jason

2 Answers Aug 15, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    • gondogoro's Profile Photo

AfriGalaxy Tours??

by gondogoro Online Now Jan 24, 2011 at 4:37 AM

I will be climbing with AfriGalaxyTours..in March.has anyone any experience with this company.They have a website too..but no one has left any comments on it.Please do let me know..Thanks

1 Answer May 27, 2014 at 3:07 AM
    • gondogoro's Profile Photo

March Climb

by gondogoro Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Anyone interested in teaming up for an early March Climb(Will be starting on the 3rd hopefully via the Marangu Route on a 6 night itinerary)?

4 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    • Fear of Heights...

by stephbarb21 Online Now Oct 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Hi!

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip for March 2011 to climb Kilimanjaro. I have a pretty debilitating fear of heights (so naturally, I want to climb a mountain) and am looking into both the Rongai and Marangu routes. There's a wealth of information on the internet, and these trails have ratings that appeal most to me. I've been interpreting them as they don't require a vertical climb up steps/rocks on narrow ledges – but it will be a steep ascent on a wide path. How far off am I? Although I'm afraid of heights, I have no problem skiing, snowboarding and hiking. I just become fearful when I'm close to an edge and have to walk vertically.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

3 Answers Oct 31, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    • How many people summit Kilimanjaro

by bbright1 Online Now Aug 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Has anyone read any recent figures on how many people try to summit Kilimanjaro each year and how many people actually make it? A lot of the tour companies seem to tout some really high success rates, but then I thought I read somewhere that only about 40% of those who try make it.

4 Answers Nov 25, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    • Tipping

by Jacobnilsson Online Now Aug 6, 2010 at 6:41 AM

I've arranged a trek for me and my father in law. Just the two od us are gonna trek Mt. Kilimanjaru (Marangu route). We have bought the trip through 'Evans Adventure Tours' in Moshi and they have provided us with: 1 guide, 1 assistant guide, 1 cook and 6 porters. I'm very much in doubt of how to tip them - can anybody help? Some years back my father in laws' brother did the climb and gave the guide 10 USD, but I find this amount extremely low, so what shall I do?
      KR Jacob

3 Answers Aug 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    • rupturedduck's Profile Photo

from Kili to Dar Es Salaam

by rupturedduck Online Now May 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I would like to hire a car with or without a driver to go from Kili to dar es salaam ( without return). We can spend several days on the road. any suggestions ? how to get a car , were to go, what to see.

thanks

frank

• tommy69b's Profile Photo

Outfitter Recommendation and GAP Adventure Tour

by tommy69b Online Now Jan 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Hi Guys,

I am planning to climb Kili in August 2010. Is this a good time to go?

I am currently looking at using GAP Adventure Tours for a climb/safari package.

gapadventures.com/trips/kili...

Have any VTers used GAP before? What did you think? Also, I am assuming that GAP outsources to another outfitter. Does anyone know who it is?

Can anyone recommend another tour company to use?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

6 Answers Aug 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    • KIlimanjaro Dreams

by josh_joshua Online Now Jan 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM

What is the best route to take? How much should I budget for "in-country" expenses. How much time should I budget. Who is the best outfitter. What is the best time of year to go and what should I pack that is not the obvious.

Thanks for taking the time.

Josh

2 Answers Jan 3, 2010 at 2:34 AM
    • mgilks's Profile Photo

kilimanjaro treks

by mgilks Online Now Oct 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM

can anyone tell me the cheapest company to book a trek with ???

2 Answers Mar 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    • Hiring Gear

by ariyasun Online Now Jan 31, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Hi there,

A group of us are climbing Kili in three weeks. YAY!!!

Just some last minutes questions id really appreciate some help with.

Is there somewhere we can hire gear for the trek OTHER than through our tour company (they arent based in Tanzania)????????????????

We were hoping to hire sleeping bags,, waterproof jackets, and maybe gloves. ???

Also can anyone tell me what the weather is like in february? As in how many layers of clothing we will need on the mountain?

Any MUSTS that we should have to ensure wekeep warm and may need on the trek????? I dont want anything to get in the way.

Thankyou so much for your help

3 Answers Feb 3, 2009 at 12:15 AM
    • samuelbrown's Profile Photo

Use the outfitter Kiliwarriors?

by samuelbrown Online Now Jun 14, 2008 at 9:33 AM

I am planning a 8 day Kili trek via the Western Breach in Feb 2009 and I am looking at Kiliwarriors (www.go-kili.com). Has anyone used Kiliwarriors and if yes, I would love to know your thoughts on using them, your experiences in general and whether you would recommend using them. Thanks so much -- Sam

• Question About Marangu Route

by DonKrest Online Now Feb 16, 2008 at 6:25 AM

Hi, I have a question about Marangu. It is known as the easiest route on Kilimanjaro, yet it has the worst % of summit success of what I have read. Why is that? Is it because a lot of unprepared climbers use this path?

Has anyone here climbed Marangu? I'm thinking of going to Kili in June. Does anyone have any opinion about going during that month?

Thanks!

3 Answers Mar 21, 2009 at 2:00 AM
    • Okay, what should I know??

by frogrdoo Online Now Jan 22, 2008 at 6:30 AM

My husband and I are possibly thinking of climbing Mt Kili, but I really don't know where to start?

Just some basic questions:

-personal fitness
      -risk factor (i want to see my kids again!)
      -exactly how gruelling is it?
      -best time of year to go
      -etc

We are both early 30's and somewhat fit. We have hiked out in BC/AB on various mountains a couple of yrs ago without any problems, and I have also done the half dome(yrs ago). We live in Toronto, so there are not many mountains to climb, just a ski hill nearby, which may help with descent practice.

thx

1 Answer Jun 30, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    • help for porters

by clearpez Online Now Jan 15, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Hi! I climbed kili in 2007 with 8 friends and when we came back we decided to collect technical mountain clothing for the porter association in Moshi.
      Now we're looking for someone who will be there when the packs arrive and make sure that they will get the association.
      Anyone who can help us to do that, please contact me by email and we'll arrange the ship date.
      Thank you!

chiara

1 Answer Jan 15, 2008 at 2:10 PM
    • waltinsocal's Profile Photo

Going to see Mt. Kili but not climbing

by waltinsocal Online Now Dec 5, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Hi everybody...I would like to go to see Mt. Kili and not climb it. The reason for me is altitude; I climbed Mt. Whitney in California (14,495 Ft.) and I know for an absolute fact that getting to the top of Kili is not going to happen. I am in shape, but the altitude kills me. My question is...is there someplace reasonably close to Kili where I could get photos of it, including one of myself with Kili in the background? I am familiar with the Park entrance fees and would prefer to avoid them since I know I won't be climbing. Thanks for your help.

3 Answers Jun 13, 2008 at 6:42 AM
    • Streli's Profile Photo

Sleeping Bag on Kilimanjaro

by Streli Online Now Dec 2, 2007 at 6:51 AM

Hello,

I'm currently planning a trip to Kilimanjaro in July 2008. Can anyone tell me, if I should bring my own sleeping bag or if the tour operators also provide sleeping bags?
      If I can rent them, are they suitable for the low temperatures above 4000m or are they not so high qualitative?

Thanks, Streli

2 Answers Jan 17, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    • Kilimanjaro in December--Gear? Advance booking?

by k&j Online Now Dec 1, 2007 at 5:31 PM

greetings,

my husband and i are planning to trek kili from about december 20 - 25. i know this is an extremely busy time on the mountain so i have a few questions. we are planning to book it once we arrive in tanzania (december 12) because we've heard this is a good option if you're on a budget and want to shop around a bit and also know exactly what you're getting. i'm just concerned that it might be too busy at that time of year and we won't be able to get on a trip?

also because it's an incredibly busy time, will we have any trouble renting any gear that we need? (sleeping bags, tents, walking poles)? we are also going to go on a budget safari on the same trip. will we want our own sleeping bags and tent anyway?

thank you so much.

kstar

• ThiloBavaria's Profile Photo

Kili+Meru+Ngorongoro

by ThiloBavaria Online Now Nov 25, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Hi Folks,
      we (3 guys of 34) are planning a 3 weeks tour to Mt. Meru, then Kili (Lemosho) and then Safari in the Ngorongoro crater. Has anyone been there recently and has some tips or knows some dont's?
      Is anyone going there between 20 Jan 2008 and 7 Feb 2008?
      Our base camp between the trips will be Moshi. How is the town? Is there anything going on?
      best wishes,
      Thilo

1 Answer Dec 17, 2007 at 8:22 AM
    • bruingirl's Profile Photo

Kilimanjaro Trek Company Recommendation

by bruingirl Online Now Oct 10, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Hi there!

I'm looking to do Kilimanjaro in 2009. What trekking company would you recommend? And why? I am interested in doing both a trek and a safari in the Serengeti. Any useful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!! :)

I've looked into Thomson Treks, Wilderness Travels, and Alpine Ascents so far. They all seem soooo expensive!

-Bruingirl-

4 Answers Dec 2, 2007 at 6:57 AM
    • grahamopey's Profile Photo

Diamox

by grahamopey Online Now Aug 8, 2007 at 10:44 AM

2 Weeks to go until I fly out to tanzania now. I will be climbing the lemosho route from the 4th Septmber.
      I will be taking diamox with me but what I wanted to know from the veterans out there is when I should start taking the medicine. I have read that people who take it early on will lose a lot of valuable sleep by staying up all night peeing however, as it is essentially a prophelaxis is taking it as early as possible a good idea or is it better to wait until I feel the effects of the altitude.

Any other info about the drug (or the climb in general) will be greatly appreciated.

I promise this will be my last question!

Thank you in advance

Graham

• grahamopey's Profile Photo

Help settle a debate

by grahamopey Online Now Mar 29, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Hi there,

I am hoping to climb kilimanjaro this september, myself and another memeber of the party have reached a sticking point and I would like your help to settle it.
      (I won't tell you what my opinion is to kep this fair).

We have had two quotes for the lemosho route from africa travel resources and mem tours of1900 and1300 respectively.
      We have spoken directly to african travel resources and they seem like a very professionally run company and seem to offer a good package, they seem confident that they will give us the best chance possible of reaching the summit.
      We have been supplied much less detail from mem tours ,although it does seem similar in many respects and, although there is little evidence to the contrary, we aren't so sure that they will be as supportive on the climb with respect to food and watching how we go.

I would like to know your opinions on which we should go for, especially from people who have used either company, although everyone is welcome.
      Does1900 sound too much or is1300 too little?
      How much did you pay and did you book in tanzania or in your home country?
      Which would YOU go for?

By the same token we have been offered a 5 day safari by both for1300, how does that price sound?

I would really, really, appreciate some help with this so we can move forward and (finally) book our flights.

Cheers, I really appreciate your help.

Graham

6 Answers Apr 9, 2007 at 2:04 AM
    • pgmlyguy's Profile Photo

Kilimanjaro Climb Operators

by pgmlyguy Online Now Feb 19, 2007 at 1:26 AM

Hi,

Anyone have experience with Tropical Trails or African Travel Resources for Kilimanjaro Expedition?

Zaidi

2 Answers Apr 6, 2007 at 3:34 AM
    • Looking for other climbers

by fredhulleman Online Now Dec 5, 2006 at 6:14 AM

Hi all,

I'm planning to climb the Kili (machame route, 6 days) between the 11 and 13 of December 2006. I'm looking for a person or group to climb with!

Originally I was planning to climb together with a friend, but unfortunately I had to postphone because of Bilhartzia (wurms in your body).

I already did some research on which tour operator I want to climb with. But I'm more than interested to hear about other offers. My budget is 1000 or lower. Tour operators which had good offers: Victoria Expeditions (arusha, meru inn,900, incl all equipment & clothes) or Bobby Safari's (arusha, 850, incl all equipment but without raingear)

If you are interested to join me, please contact me ASAP: fredhulleman@hotmail.com

OR: +254727067417

Hope to hear from you, and looking forward to reach the summit!

Fred

• Need Advice

by nikkiflint Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 9:46 AM

Hello - I had surgury on my ankle 6 months ago (severed tendons) and I just got the go ahead from my doctor to climb Kili in January. I have not exercized in 6 months except the last three days I did a 5 mile run, 2.5 and 2.5. What are all your recomedations for physica training, altiutude sickness and building up confidence. Our climb date is January 15.

Thank you for any assistance

3 Answers Dec 17, 2006 at 10:42 PM