I will be climbing with AfriGalaxyTours..in March.has anyone any experience with this company.They have a website too..but no one has left any comments on it.Please do let me know..Thanks
Speaking from personal experience, please DO NOT use this company AfriGalaxy Tours!!!
My friend had a horrible experience with their extortionate charges and referred me to the mountain guide that he had directly, a guide named Zawadi.
Zawadi seemed to be a knowledgeable guide, but it turned out that he's no more than a porter, something that he worked as for 12 years before, and was working for his brother, the whole time.
We climbed with AfriGalaxy in December 2010-January 2011
Here is a list of problems with their service:
1. The food and/or the cooks are contaminated. I personally got food poisoning (a bacterial infection) from the cooks who either a) didn't wash/cook the food well enough b) didn't wash their hands thoroughly when touching the food. I was 3/4 up the mountain when this happened and had to descend with uncontrollable bowl movements. Pretty awful.
2. No apology for the food poisoning. Zawadi not only did not apologize, but refused to accept that I had been poisoned from the food. This food poisoning hypothesis was verified by the local health clinic in Moshi, Jaffrey Charitable Services the next day. Zawadi is as stubborn as a mule and has no business interfacing with customers.
3. Zawadi and porters incessant talking on the trail. My wife continued up the mountain, and as I had experienced, Zawadi and the porters killed the serenity of the climb with their incessant talking in Tanzanian Swahili. Many times, it was clear that they were talking about their paying customers--my wife and I.
4. Pushing clients beyond their limits to get credit for a summit. My wife decided to push on as far as she could go. Considering that it was not only her first climb of Kili, it was also her first multi-day hike, which Zawadi was aware of, it was not expected that she summit on her first attempt, and we did not expect her to.
Zawadi insisted to push my wife beyond her limits. 1.5 hrs from the summit, even after repeated declarations from my wife that she was on the verge of being very sick, Zawadi insisted that she go on "for me". He didn't care if she lived or died, as long as Zawadi got credit for her going to the summit. He didn't care if she came down in a bodybag, a stretcher, whatever.
5. Zawadi insistence on giving the team tips. We made sure to give the porters (even the cooks) tips, but did not give any to Zawadi. In an effort to appeal to my wife's emotional side (who was fed up with him after the summit incident), he tried to manipulate her into giving her tips by taking her to his family home after she descended into Moshi.
All in all, I am spreading the word around the Internet around this company and the brothers that have no business being in business.
Be careful, there are many other companies who extort in the same way as AfriGalaxy. Some of those hikers we met on our climb had similar experiences, and paid much, much more than we did.
Next time, I will insist on A) pack my own food B) carrying my own bag C) will not pay a tour company. You can ping me off-line for a number of a taxi driver who has the direct mobile numbers of about 50 guides who work independently.
email is: ap_chowdhuryatyahoodotcom.
Be the first to rate this answer!