Kihei Travel Answers

change location

Any tips?

by maui_bound Online Now Aug 28, 2007 at 9:23 PM

We reviewed many hotels and it seemed Maui Coast hotel had some great reviews- and not as many negative reviews as many other hotels (on a budget).

This is our first vacation and we are very excited- but not very well versed.

Any suggestions on activities?
We had thought we were looking is East Maui but after booking realized we booked in South Maui. But all the activities we found are based out of Lahaina snorkeling, sunset sails, Old Lahaina Luau).
Looking for fun things to do (while still on a budget) in Kihei.

Also wondering about how far (and how long) it is to get to Lahaina from Kihei.

The Road to Hana is on our list- I heard it was a must. Now that we will be in South Maui I am not sure if we should head North and then East on the Hana Hwy or if we should follow the southern coast (as we probably won't take the Hana hwy all the way around).

Any suggestions, tips, ideas would be great! THANKS!!!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

Re: Any tips?

by Roadquill Online Now Aug 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM

You can only get to Hana going via the North route. The southern route is closed down for a few more months at least. (one decision made easier). Kihie is a great place to stay and there is excellent snorkling right off the shore as you get close to Wailea. There is public access all along Wailea, or you can go East to big beach and further East to La Perouse Bay. You can pick up a snorkling trip to Molokini right at the Kihei boat docks through Snorkle Bobs. It is a much shorter boat ride than coming down from Lahaina. It takes about 40 minutes to drive up to Lahaina, unless there is traffic. Make your reservations now for the Old Lahaina Luau as it books up. Best lunch, go to Da Kitchen in Kihei or Kahului. Maui Tacos is also great. Breakfast - Kihie Cafe. We did the Japanese restaurant in Makena at the Maui Price one night and at the table next to us was Clint Eastwood and his family. don't swim West of the three Kamoele (sp?) beaches in Kihie. aloha!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

by HarmoniousBotch Online Now Aug 31, 2007 at 10:11 AM

The address for the Maui Coast Hotel suggests that it is almost right across the street from the Kam I beach. ( BTW, since Kihei rd goes north/south, I think Roadquill meant don't swim NORTH of the Kamaole beaches )
    So you can walk to good snorkleing, or drive further south.

40 minutes to Lahaina sounds about right. I can't remember encountering any substantial traffic.

• dsunlin's Profile Photo

by dsunlin Online Now Sep 14, 2007 at 2:19 PM

There's also decent snorkeling at Kamaole III (I think) at the north end. Anyway, there's a natural lava jetty that hides some fish, especially on the north side.

It's an island, most drives are pretty short.

The reason that so much is out of Lahaina is that it's the first tourist trap (oops, better watch my mouth) on Maui, but by no means the only.

• dsunlin's Profile Photo

by dsunlin Online Now Sep 14, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Sorry, maybe 1/2-3/4 an hour to Lahaina, nothing to it.

• linakahana's Profile Photo

Tips for south Maui / Kihei / Wailea area

by linakahana Online Now Jun 16, 2008 at 5:21 PM

To head from south Maui / Kihei to Hana, one can only go across the isthmus toward airport and then connect with Hana Highway, the back way across the dry side has been closed since Oct '06 earthquake. And many misread the map and think there is a road that connects Kihe area with upslope near Tedeschi Winery; there is not.

From Kihei in south Maui to Lahaina area on west Maui is not far at all .. maybe 45-50 mins. Nothing is very far on Maui; however, you may encounter more traffic between these two areas than anywhere else on the island. Timing of travel depends on time of departure, if you can go really early or wait until 9:30 or so, then traffic has cleared a bit.

There is a good drive time guide that you will likely see when you get off the plane; one of the prominent, free Maui guides that you can find in airport and almost everywhere else. It has good maps and drive times. And here is a good online source -- ownerdirect.com/travel/drive...
    OR hawaii-guide.com/index.php/m...

Lots of beaches to explore and good snorkel sites in south Maui; beautiful hotels you can vist or check out restaurants with ocean views in the pricier, more swanky Wailea area, further along past Kihei. Some restaurants offer music ... mostly south is about water activities. Lahaina has a more eclectic mix of options.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines