Kihei Travel Answers

change location

Is kihei for me?

by Happy06 Online Now May 17, 2006 at 7:24 AM

Wonder if someone might be kind enough to help me out - I live in London & I'm planning to go to Maui next month with my mum who's in her late 50's & i'm in my mid twenties.
All we really want are beautiful beaches and good restaurants kinda near by not looking for the party capital or anything.
Unfortunatly (for my mum!) we're doing this on a budget - so i've been thinking about Aston Maui Lu Resort on South Kihei Road. I've looked up reviews on the web and they're massively varied. I now it's cheap as chips so i'm not expecting luxury but i'd be really upset if i took my mum somewhere they had cockroaches!
Any thoughts & advice welcomed.
thanks so much

Helen

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: Is kihei for me?

by Roadquill Online Now May 17, 2006 at 9:07 AM

For inexpensive places to stay the Aston is OK. I love staying in Kihei. Try the Best Western on the beach in Kihei. You can get a double room for about125. Sometimes the manager runs specials for99 per night. 1 minute walk from a great beach with lots of snorkling, turtles, Cheers, Karl

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Is kihei for me?

by YVRDave Online Now May 17, 2006 at 10:06 AM

If you are on a budget I recommend a condo rental. You can find them in Google. This will save you at least20 on breakfast per day alone then add the odd lunch laundry, self serve happy hour etc. etc.

• dengay's Profile Photo

RE: Is kihei for me?

by dengay Online Now May 18, 2006 at 7:42 AM

Helen,

Based on your profile, I think you'll find Kihei to be quite nice. I, too, recommend a condo. There are many 2-bedroom units in Kihei that can be had for under150 US/night. You might try www.vrbo.com. Here you rent directly from the owner. If you use this site, I have a few suggestions to assure you are renting what is being advertised. 1) Ask to see lots of pictures. More than the owner has posted on the website. 2) Talk to the owner via phone. It's hard to cary on a meaningful conversation via the internet. 3) Ask for references. If the owner resists, don't rent from them.

All that being said, we sayed at the Luana Kai in November 2005 and found it to be a lovely facility with very reasonable rates. If you are interested, you can read my review on my home page.

One other tip regarding Kihei. The majority of the condos in north Kihei are on the ocean side of South Kihei road, like the Luana Kai, but the beaches are not good for much more than walking and wading. The beaches in south Kihei are some of the best on Maui, but the majority of the condos, at least the value priced ones, are across south Kihei road and thus a bit of a walk. We figured if we were going to have to walk to a good swimming beach, we would prefer to walk down the beach verses walk across the road.

You can also go to www.wizardpub.com and follow the links to aerial photos to see all of the resorts on Maui from the air. I found this helpful in making my final decision.

Dennis

• Re: Is kihei for me?

by enzop Online Now Aug 19, 2008 at 2:12 AM

I know that Maui Vista is more southern in Kihei, and closer to the nice beaches. They periodically spray for bugs, I know because they were doing it when we were leaving there, and we had no bugs. The prices are good at Maui Vista, particularly if you rent from a private owner, you can find some of the vacation rental sites and search engines. Our friends, Rick and Dori Warner, where we stayed, had a nice 1 br.
    email me if you want any more info, thanks

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines