Kiev Travel Answers

change location
rytaddress's Profile Photo

Boryspil Airport questions

by rytaddress Online Now Jun 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Hello. I'm flying into Kiev in a few days. It has been over 6 years since my last visit. (I was an international observer in the December 2004 Ukrainian Presidential election.) I have two questions: Is it possible/wise economically to buy a Sim card at the airport? (I have a GSM phone but I will arrive with no credits, so I need to get a Ukrainian Sim card and a few credits, too). Thanks, in advance, if anyone can answer this mobile phone question!

Also, I am traveling directly to Sumy, where I have friends. They say that there are marshrutkas that leave for Sumy from Boryspil Airport, BUT no one seems to know at what times they leave. My flight lands at 1:30AM, so I am prepared to wait through the night until I head to Sumy. Does anyone know anything about these Sumy marshrutkas? (I'm guessing not, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Dyakuyu/Spasibo!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Irina80's Profile Photo

Re: Boryspil Airport questions

by Irina80 Online Now Jun 5, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I believe inter-cities marshrutkas start operating around 5am, they usually begin their routes from the Kiev railroad station, so first one going to Sumy would stop in Borispil at around 5:30am, would make it to Sumy around 10am. The company operating those is SanAvto, (050)9339093, (067)4549055. I seriously doubt anyone there will speak english though. But there is a catch: you need to book in advance I believe, not well in advance though, but one other reason to call and book is to tell them to go directly to the airport as many of them do not do that and stop somewhere on the Borispil highway. Perhaps your friends in Sumy could help you out with that.
    As far as SIM card I may not be much help unfortunatelly. There are probably mobil communications providers shops there but at the time of your arrival they might be closed.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • rytaddress's Profile Photo

by rytaddress Online Now Jun 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Thanks so much, Irina. I will ask my friends to phone SAN AVTO to let them know there will be a grateful passenger waiting at Boryspil early on 14 June! I have been to Ukraine many times before and can communicate enough to be understood (a bit better in Ukrainian than in Russian, but both work well, I've learned!). Again, thank you!

• Irina80's Profile Photo

by Irina80 Online Now Jun 7, 2011 at 6:10 AM

you're very welcome. I hope the marshrutkas still function because it's been a while for me too and things in Ukraine tend to be ... volatile :)

• Kiev_Luck's Profile Photo

by Kiev_Luck Online Now Jun 28, 2011 at 6:08 AM

great)! you visited Sumy (my native city), hope everything was OK with those Sumy marshrutkas & you visited your friends' place successfully - write here how you like hospitable Ukraine after 6 years not being there, thanx

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines