Kiev Travel Answers

change location

Crime situation in Kiew / Traveling by train

by cashy_freshy Online Now May 9, 2007 at 6:38 AM

Hi all

Traveling to Kiew, Odessa and Poltava mid of June. - People don't stop to tell me to be carefull. Can anyone give me more detailed and differantiated information? Where to go and where not to go in Kiew?

We plan to travel between Kiew to Odessa and from Odessa to Poltava by train.
Can anyone provide us with information how the public transportation is like in Ukraine? Shall we travel by bus or by train, etc.

All answers are highly appreciated. Spasiba :-)

Quote & Answer
18 Answers
  • GyuriFT's Profile Photo

Re: Crime situation in Kiew / Traveling by train

by GyuriFT Online Now May 9, 2007 at 6:50 AM

Using common sense is enough. Not you will be the richest ion the train.
    Regarding the trains how they look like: visit the www.raileurope.net - they have million pictures!
    Not much to worry about.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

by Paisleypaul Online Now May 9, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Good earlier answer, dont venture down a dark alley waving your money alone at night, butyou wouldn't do that in any capital city.

There was violence when we visited but this was only related to some Ukrainian football thugs (not necessarily Kyiv even) and my only reservation on safety in Kyiv is I would not recommend it for sports travel.

Hopefully that may change with Poland & Ukraine co-hosting European finals in 2012 but we remian to be convinced

• Jesperp's Profile Photo

by Jesperp Online Now May 9, 2007 at 9:43 AM

Here is a website about traveling by train in Ukraine tryukraine.com/info/transpor...

Timetable for travel by train: reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...

Jesper

• Re: Crime situation in Kiew / Traveling by train

by cashy_freshy Online Now May 9, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Thanks to all of you - your answers were very helpfull.

Does anyone know a good hotel or appartment rent?

by GyuriFT Online Now May 9, 2007 at 1:49 PM

> There was violence when we visited but this was only related to some Ukrainian football thugs

Not want to shoot back, but sometimes I did see, how Liverpool fans try to peacefully convince Benfica fans (and v.v.) that Liverpool is actually a better team.

The Russian/Ukrainian word for these Unkrainian fans is "huligan" (pron.: 'hooligaan"), that word says all...

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

by OlenaKyiv Online Now May 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Have you bought tickets? If not, then just buy separate compartment ticket ("kupe"). It is compartment for 4. You may buy all compartment even if you travel with a party less than 4. Or buy "sleep compartment" ticket (for two). Then you will have a privacy. Stay away from platskart, it is the cheaper and marrier but no privacy - all compartments don't have doors. Doesn't it sound fun? :-))) Also don't buy tickets near toilet, it means don't buy seats 1,2,3,4, and the last ones, sorry I don't remember how many compartments in the cart.

by GyuriFT Online Now May 12, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Olja,

I have to disagree a bit regarding section sleepers ('platzkartnyi'). For a single lady they are safer than 4-bed or 2-bed sleepers.

Technically, btw. 4-bed and 2-bed are called sleepers (WL), 4-bed has international designation as WLB, 2-bed as "WLA"; there are also RIC 3-bed ones (WLAB). The "SV" word begun it's life NOT as "Spal'nyi Vagon" but "Salon Vagon". Today "Salon Vagon" is used more often for "VIP-Sleeper" and what used to be called "miagkii' 4-bed first class (now virtually disappeared) is now 3-bed RIC. Somewhat confusing, I know. But the fact:
    - virtually all sleepers are "unisex"
    - there is very slim chance to get unpleasant experience in 4-bed, 3-bed or 2-bed sleeper. Most of the time the guys leave the compartment WITHOUT BEING EVEN ASKED(!!!) if they see, the girl(s) are sleepy and tired, so they have chance to change.
    - Still, some ladies who travel alone prefere the "section sleepers" because it's virtually impossible to get a bad treatment form males there. The personal belonging security (money, camera) is an other question. Generally, rural Russian and Ukrainian cars are safe - even if on the slower and dirtier trains. The worst is, you will be in the middle of villagers.

On the mentioned route you will most likely meet cars served by Ukrainian, Russian, Belarus, Modavian, Baltic and maybe Polish railways. Some could be very nice, some older and in less good state od cleaninness but generally no safety issue.

If you are reside in Europe you may find that a single CITY-STAR ticket for you in first classbought in Bratislava/Kosice and buying the entire "SV" compartment out is a good choice. Officially you cannot buy a second-class ticket and buy the entire 4-bed compartment on Ukrainian-issued tickets only on international-issued tickets not available in Ukraina. Doing it in Ukraina the provodnik will just void the three extra tickets and let three passengers in. With 'plackarta' (bed reservation) issued in an other country they are usually confused and let the passenger occupy the whole compartment.

by OlenaKyiv Online Now May 12, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Well, pay provodnik and he will leave you alone in 4-person compartment, but I am not sure you may do this with plackarta.

• romeoss's Profile Photo

by romeoss Online Now May 13, 2007 at 1:30 AM

Never say "Spasibo". Ukraine is not Russia!

by GyuriFT Online Now May 13, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Kiev is still mostly Russian-speaking city, isn't it? But regardless - I think, if anyone would say that word and an Ukrainian does't WANT to understand it: (s)he does not DESERVED that word to begin with. So no harm is done. And btw: you know, what it means, right? Spasi Bog = Jesus Save. But even being non-religious I will still say it even in Zakarpatie. If anyone does not like it, they can do me a favor.

by cashy_freshy Online Now May 13, 2007 at 8:53 AM

many thanks for all those tipps. I am a bit confused, I thought spasiba means thank you?!

by cashy_freshy Online Now May 13, 2007 at 8:54 AM

In what part of Kiew should we take a hotel or apartment?

by GyuriFT Online Now May 13, 2007 at 2:14 PM

It is exactly "thank you", it's written with "o" at the end, not "a" - but the ethimology of it is kind of religious; the ending of "g" is lost in the ages. The 'undecided' sound between "a" and "o" is because the accent shifted, normally it would be "o". IMHO if you cannot pronounce the "undecided o" better say a clean "o" than a clean "a", since "o" is written.

by OlenaKyiv Online Now May 13, 2007 at 4:10 PM

In addition, Ukrainian "spasibo" is "dyakuyu". But it will be fine to tell spasibo in Kiev. The most of population is bilingual, so both words will work.

by Rowdyboi_ua Online Now May 15, 2007 at 3:27 PM

2 Olga - dont be that picky)) Sometimes instead of 'dyakuu' you may hear many other interessting words like "pishov na ... (direction far far away from yer current location))"
    Anyway - travelling by train in summer looks too damn hardcore too me. I'd die of unbearable heat, that's for sure)))

by Rowdyboi_ua Online Now May 15, 2007 at 3:31 PM

ah, shute, I mean Olena, lame me)))
    Prostite, mazel, zavtykal))

by OlenaKyiv Online Now May 16, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Picky? what are you talking about? Or you find very amusing to teach tourists of a local slang? Not very attractive one. Yes, unfortunately, many representetives of Ukrainian nation can be very rude and often without any grounds, it is just a part of culture I would say which I am ashamed of. That is why I am the picky one who avoids discussion of such unrelated to politeness words as you, Rowdyboi, brought up.

By the way, Vovan, your post was a great example to a bilingual culture of Kiev residents. I assumed, you thought my name Olenka is Russian Olga said in a nice way. However, you have figured out that it is Olena, which is Russian Elena. Yeap, zavtykal konkretno.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

by HORSCHECK Online Now May 17, 2007 at 3:58 AM

Hello all,

I will travelling through Ukraine by train as well and I am not really worried about it. Nevertheless I am just interested in the interesting discussion here.

So I hope you don't mind that I bookmark it.

HORSCHECK :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines